Explore the Double Slit Experiment: Variations & Results

In summary: The emitter is focused/aimed using a lens. Most times they go through neither slit, but on occasion they go through the slit on the other side.I have no idea what you are asking!
PZIG98
A few question about the double slit experiment... I have watched many videos and discussions about this experiment and am curious if anyone has ever varied the slits... What happens if one slit is vertical and one horizontal? If they are closer together or further apart? One fat and one skinny? One tall, one short? etc etc... How about three slits? or maybe concentric circular slits? I would imagine that this has been done and the results unremarkable but I have not heard or read anything other that one or two slits... How about two emitters side by side with zero slits? Would an interference pattern result?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find the relevant reference at this moment, but the physical shape of the slits affects the shape of the resultant image. if you used a diamond shape instead of vertical bars, it would change the pattern to resemble diamonds. A horizontal bar results in overlaps.

Do the slits determine the period of the interference pattern?

If two photons where fired from two separate emitters, at the same time with no slits, would an interference pattern result?

Hi PZIG98,
PZIG98 said:
A few question about the double slit experiment... I have watched many videos and discussions about this experiment and am curious if anyone has ever varied the slits...
Yes, it has been done. Here is also a thread with a document and some pictures:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/double-slit-experiment.782985/

And here is a clip from MIT - an introduction to the experiment, including some variations:
http://video.mit.edu/watch/thomas-youngs-double-slit-experiment-8432/

EDIT:
PZIG98 said:
Do the slits determine the period of the interference pattern?
See the clip I posted above :smile:.

Last edited:
PZIG98 said:
If two photons where fired from two separate emitters, at the same time with no slits, would an interference pattern result?
In order to see an interference pattern the frequencies of both lasers must be nearly the same. If for example the frequency difference between the lasers is 1Hz, then you'll see the interference pattern cycling every second. To give you an idea how stable such a laser would have be, a 650nm red laser is 4.6E+14 Hz. A difference of 1Hz is unheard of. The temperature drift alone is far greater.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me about the frequencies... How are experimenters certain that they are firing 1 photon at a time when doing the double split? Seems the me that the "Uncertain" nature of these particles would make that impossible... Would seem more likely that what is happening is really a, "small number" are fired at each time...

PZIG98 said:
How are experimenters certain that they are firing 1 photon at a time when doing the double split? Seems the me that the "Uncertain" nature of these particles would make that impossible... Would seem more likely that what is happening is really a, "small number" are fired at each time...

It depends on what effect you are looking for. There are ways to be certain that only one photon is present within a specified time window; an example would be to use heralded photons. Other times you simply want the average to be "close enough" to one. That can be accomplished with a suitably low intensity.

You can be sure that the experimenter is aware of this point, as it can make a difference to the outcome.

I appreciate you and others taking the time to entertain my curiosity...
If both slits are observed, measured... the wave/waves/pattern remains collapsed I assume?

How is the emitter focused/aimed. Trying to understand why they sometimes go through this side and sometimes the other. I assume most times they go through neither? Or, are they focused on a particular point on the partition?

Related to Explore the Double Slit Experiment: Variations & Results

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. What are the variations of the double slit experiment?

There are several variations of the double slit experiment, including the single photon version, the delayed choice version, and the quantum eraser version. These variations explore different aspects of the wave-particle duality and provide further insights into the behavior of light.

3. What are the results of the double slit experiment?

The results of the double slit experiment show that light behaves as both a wave and a particle, depending on how it is observed. When observed as a wave, it creates an interference pattern on the screen. When observed as a particle, it passes through one of the slits and creates two distinct bands on the screen.

4. How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is a key experiment in quantum mechanics, as it demonstrates the fundamental principle of wave-particle duality. It also raises questions about the role of the observer in determining the behavior of particles, which is a key concept in quantum mechanics.

5. What implications does the double slit experiment have?

The results of the double slit experiment have significant implications for our understanding of the nature of light and matter. It challenges our traditional understanding of particles and opens up new possibilities for technology and scientific research. It also highlights the limitations of our current theories and encourages further exploration and discovery in the field of quantum mechanics.