Explicitly Deriving the Delta Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ikx}e^{ik'x} = \delta(k-k') in Quantum mechanics using Fourier transforms. The concept is understood by taking the Fourier transform of a plane wave with a single frequency element. The conversation also explores using a convergence factor to find an explicit expression for the delta function and discusses rigorously defining the delta function as a distribution.
dsr39
When working with Fourier transforms in Quantum mechanics you get the result that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ikx}e^{ik'x} = \delta(k-k')[/tex]

I understand conceptually why this must be true, since you are taking the Fourier transform of a plane wave with a single frequency element.

I have also seen it sort of derived by looking at the formula for the Fourier series and tracking its components in the limit that it becomes a continuous Fourier transorm (letting the period go to infinity and [tex]\Delta\omega[/tex] go to 0)

But I really want to come up with some explicit expression, from doing the integral that behaves like a delta function. I have tried messing around with it, by sticking it inside of another integral and multiplying it by a test function etc. Is there a way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure exactly what you're looking for here. How about this? Insert a "convergence factor" [itex]\exp[-\varepsilon x^2/2][/itex] in the integrand; call the resulting function [itex]\delta_\varepsilon(k)[/itex]:
[tex]\delta_\varepsilon(k)\equiv \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dx\,e^{-\varepsilon x^2/2}e^{ikx}.[/tex]
The result is
[tex]\delta_\varepsilon(k)= (2\pi/\varepsilon)^{1/2}\exp[-k^2/2\varepsilon].[/tex]
Now we want to take the limit [itex]\varepsilon\to 0[/itex]. For [itex]k\ne 0[/itex], the limit is zero, and for [itex]k=0[/itex], the limit is infinity. Furthermore, the integral of [tex]\delta_\varepsilon(k)[/itex] from minus to plus infinity is one. So the function has all the properties of the delta function in this limit.

I wrote an extremely non-rigorous argument in this thread. If you want to learn to deal with delta functions more rigorously, this is probably a better place to start.

Do you already know that stuff about how to define the delta function as a distribution? I'm just asking because it might help other people to give you a better answer.

The convergence factor seems to work, except when I integrate the delta function you defined I don't get 1, I get some constant with pi. Maybe I am doing the integral wrong.

The delta function is defined by

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(k) \delta(k - k') \; dk = f(k')[/tex]

So, try plugging in your expression into the above integral, and verify that it gives the correct answer. (Exchange the order of integration, and you should just get the Fourier transform of the Fourier transform of f.)

Note: I think your expression is off by a factor of [itex]2 \pi[/itex].

Last edited:
Oops, I missed the [itex]2\pi[/itex] also. I should have written
[tex]\delta_\varepsilon(k)\equiv {1\over2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dx\,e^{-\varepsilon x^2/2}e^{ikx}.[/tex]
and
[tex]
\delta_\varepsilon(k)= (1/2\pi\varepsilon)^{1/2}\exp[-k^2/2\varepsilon].[/tex]

Related to Explicitly Deriving the Delta Function

1. What is the Delta Function?

The Delta Function, also known as the Dirac Delta Function, is a mathematical function that is defined as an infinite spike at the origin and has a value of zero everywhere else. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent a point or impulse in a system.

2. How is the Delta Function derived?

The Delta Function is typically derived through a limiting process, where a sequence of functions with narrower and taller spikes are used to approximate the Delta Function. This process involves taking the limit of the sequence as the spikes become infinitely narrow and tall, resulting in the Delta Function.

3. What is the significance of the Delta Function in physics?

The Delta Function is widely used in physics as it allows for the representation of point sources or impulses in a system. It is also used in Fourier analysis to determine the spectral content of a signal, and in quantum mechanics to represent wavefunctions.

4. Can the Delta Function be integrated or differentiated?

Yes, the Delta Function can be integrated and differentiated like any other function. However, its derivative is not a well-defined function, and its integral is only defined when integrated over a set containing the origin.

5. How is the Delta Function used in practical applications?

The Delta Function is used in many practical applications, such as signal processing, image processing, and control systems. It is also used in solving differential equations, evaluating integrals, and in probability and statistics for calculating probabilities of continuous random variables.