Explanation:Trigonometry: Simplifying (cos A + 1) / cos A Step by Step

In summary, the problem is asking to reduce the expression (cos A + 1) / cos A. The solution involves using the identity 1 + 1/cos A = 1 + sec A to simplify the expression.
dandirom
[SOLVED] Trigonometry cos A + 1

My little sis needs help w/ the following problem for her homework and to tell you the truth, aside from the fact that I'm too busy I have no idea how to explain this to her step by step. I would appreciate an explanation on how to solve it -- a solution would be fine but even just the steps for solving it would be appreciated. thanks.

Homework Statement

Reduce
(cos A + 1) / cos A

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing I can see is the obvious:
[tex]\frac{cos A+ 1}{cos A}= 1+ \frac{1}{cos A}= 1+ sec A[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
The only thing I can see is the obvious:
[tex]\frac{cos A+ 1}{cos A}= 1+ \frac{1}{cos A}= 1+ sec A[/itex]

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help.

Related to Explanation:Trigonometry: Simplifying (cos A + 1) / cos A Step by Step

1. What is the purpose of trigonometry cos A + 1?

The purpose of trigonometry cos A + 1 is to find the value of the cosine function at a specific angle (A) and add 1 to it. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating the distance between two points or the angle of elevation or depression.

2. How is trigonometry cos A + 1 calculated?

Trigonometry cos A + 1 is calculated using the cosine function, which is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side of a right triangle to the hypotenuse. The value of cos A is then added to 1 to get the final result. This calculation can be done using a scientific calculator or by using trigonometric tables.

3. What does the result of trigonometry cos A + 1 represent?

The result of trigonometry cos A + 1 represents the value of the cosine function at a specific angle (A) plus 1. This value can be interpreted as the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle, or as the x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle with an angle of A radians.

4. What is the range of values for trigonometry cos A + 1?

The range of values for trigonometry cos A + 1 is from 0 to 2, with 0 being the minimum value and 2 being the maximum value. This is because the cosine function can have values between -1 and 1, and adding 1 to this range gives us a new range of 0 to 2.

5. How is trigonometry cos A + 1 used in real life?

Trigonometry cos A + 1 is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the height of a building or the distance between two objects. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to solve problems involving angles and distances. Additionally, it can be used in computer graphics to create realistic visualizations of 3D objects.