Explanation of Wavenumber wrt Turbulence and Energy dissipation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a wavenumber and its role in determining the dissipation of energy during turbulence, particularly in the context of the ocean. The definition of a wavenumber as the reciprocal of wave length is mentioned, but there is difficulty in understanding its application. The idea of "energy cascades" and how it relates to dissipative processes, such as turbulence, is also brought up. The concept is viewed in reciprocal space through the Fourier transform, and it is explained how the coherence length of excitations decreases over time. The conversation ends with a mention of the interesting concept and the desire to learn more about it.
TAFKARS
Hi there

Can anyone provide me with an explanation of what a wavenumber is, and how it can be used in determining the extent to which energy is dissipated during turbulence (ideally in the context of the ocean)? I am aware of the basic definition of a wavenumber (i.e. the reciprocal of wave length), but I cannot seem to make this next mental leap!

Many thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard of this idea, I think first put forward by Leo Kadanoff. "Energy cascades" are invoked to describe dissipative processes, of which turbulence is one, whereby large coherent structures evolve into smaller structures with lower mutual coherence. Viewed in reciprocal space (via the Fourier transform), the characteristic wavenumber of the excitation increases over time.

If you like, the coherence length of excitations in a dissipative system decreases over time. In terms of water waves, a large initial disturbance decays into smaller waves, with the smalelr waves becoming more and more incoherent with each other. A large vortex will decay and dissipate (leading to a natural question regarding the stabiltiy of Jupiter's great red spot).

That's about all I know. It's an interesting concept, and I should know more about it.

Wavenumber is a measure of the spatial frequency of a wave, defined as the number of complete wave cycles per unit distance. In the context of turbulence, wavenumber is used to describe the size of the eddies or vortices that are present in the flow. These eddies are responsible for the dissipation of energy in the turbulent flow.

In the ocean, turbulence can be caused by various factors such as wind, tides, and density differences in the water. As the water moves, it creates eddies of different sizes, from large-scale eddies that span several kilometers to small-scale eddies that are only a few centimeters in size. The energy of these eddies is dissipated through processes such as friction and viscosity.

By using wavenumber, scientists can quantify the different sizes of eddies present in the turbulent flow. This is important because the energy dissipation rate is directly related to the size of the eddies. Larger eddies have a higher energy dissipation rate, while smaller eddies have a lower energy dissipation rate.

Furthermore, wavenumber can also be used to study the energy spectrum of turbulence. The energy spectrum describes how much energy is present at different wavenumbers. In turbulent flows, the energy spectrum follows a power law, with larger eddies having more energy than smaller eddies. This information can help us understand the dynamics of turbulence and how energy is transferred between different scales.

In summary, wavenumber is a valuable tool for studying turbulence and energy dissipation in the ocean. By quantifying the size of eddies and their energy spectrum, we can gain a better understanding of the processes that govern turbulent flows and their impact on the ocean environment.

Related to Explanation of Wavenumber wrt Turbulence and Energy dissipation

1. What is wavenumber in relation to turbulence?

Wavenumber, also known as spatial frequency, is a measure of the number of waves that occur in a given distance in a turbulent flow. It is related to the size of the eddies (vortices) that make up the turbulence, with smaller wavenumbers corresponding to larger eddies and vice versa.

2. How does wavenumber affect energy dissipation in turbulence?

As wavenumber increases, the size of the eddies decreases, leading to an increase in the rate of energy dissipation. This is because smaller eddies have a higher surface area-to-volume ratio, making them more efficient at dissipating energy through viscous forces.

3. Can wavenumber be measured in physical units?

Yes, wavenumber can be measured in units of inverse length, such as inverse meters or inverse feet. It is commonly denoted by the symbol k and has the units of radians per unit distance.

4. How is wavenumber related to the energy spectrum of turbulence?

The energy spectrum of turbulence is a plot of the energy contained in different wavenumbers. It follows a power law, with higher wavenumbers containing more energy. This is because smaller eddies, corresponding to higher wavenumbers, have a larger energy dissipation rate.

5. Can wavenumber be used to predict the behavior of turbulent flows?

While wavenumber alone cannot fully predict the behavior of turbulent flows, it is an important factor in understanding the energy dissipation and energy spectrum of turbulence. By studying the wavenumber distribution in a turbulent flow, scientists can gain insights into the dynamics and behavior of the flow.