Explanation of radioactive decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the explanation for radioactive decay and whether an increase in entropy and activation energy are involved in the process. It also touches on the possibility of radioactive decay occurring in a vacuum. The experts agree that an increase in entropy is connected to spontaneous processes, including radioactive decay. It is also mentioned that some atoms may only decay in a vacuum if their atomic electrons are stripped off.
TuAst
Hi folks

I was wondering if someone could please help me with the following:

Is the explanation for radioactive decay (if it is not "induced") the increase in entropy, and
is it true that an activation energy must be overcome (if so, does that mean that it is not possible for an unstable isotope to decay in total vacuum).

Thank you very much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Radioactive decay is a quantum tunneling phenomena...which has nothing to do with "total vacuum", whatever that means...given a number of unstable nuclei they will decay in a statistically random fashion..no one knows which nuceli will decay next...

lots more at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay

Naty1

Thank you for your quick reply, I read about it in wikipedia before I came here to ask, that was where I found out about the activation energy and entropy. However, I want to ask the experts, I'm never sure about what I can trust on wiki, even though it is a very good reference.

"Total vacuum" is a stupid way of saying "not normal vacuum, which has some particles that can interact" - so I guess "no disturbing elements" or something would be better! Haha

Every spontaneous process is connected to an increase in entropy, so I agree with the Wikipedia article on that point.

Mapes

Thank you for your reply! So would you say that in order for "one decay" to occur, an activation energy must be overcome, even though it is spontaneous?
Thank you for your time.

Hi,
I have a question:
Radioactive decay is possible in vacuum or not?
anyone please tell me...

Yes. Why not?

hashdude_91 said:
Hi,
I have a question:
Radioactive decay is possible in vacuum or not?
anyone please tell me...
Nearly every radioactive atom will decay in a vacuum. Some atoms decay only by capturing an atomic electron, and will (may?) be stable if all the atomic electrons are stripped off. I think that there are two stable isotopes (neutral atoms) that decay radioactively only when the nucleus is bare (no electrons), because the Coulomb field of the atomic electrons inhibit the radioactive decay of the nucleus. I think that A≈ 181 to 185. Anyone remember?

Bob S

Related to Explanation of radioactive decay

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atom spontaneously releases energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This can result in the formation of a new element or isotope.

2. What causes radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay occurs due to the imbalance between the number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus. This imbalance causes the atom to be unstable, and it will release energy in order to reach a more stable state.

3. How is radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is measured using the half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of a sample of radioactive material to decay. This can vary greatly depending on the specific element or isotope.

4. What are the types of radioactive decay?

There are three main types of radioactive decay: alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of a helium nucleus, beta decay involves the emission of an electron or positron, and gamma decay involves the release of high-energy photons.

5. What are the uses of radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay has many practical applications, including nuclear power generation, radiocarbon dating, medical imaging and treatment, and industrial processes such as food preservation and material testing.