Explanation of an angular momentum term

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed and energy lost in a scenario involving a solid ball on a horizontal surface with friction. The main point of confusion is the final term in the angular momentum equation, and the person is seeking an explanation from others.
Levi Tate
Hello, could somebody please explain to me why in 4 of these solutions, the angular momentum final term about point p is mVfR + Icmω ? It is in huge attached solutions my teacher posted.

Thank you very much in advance

Here is the problem in case you are interested of Horne context.

4. A solid ball of radius are initially slides without rotating on a horizontal surface with a variable coefficient of friction. If the initial speed is Vo, find the speed when the ball begins to roll without slipping. Also find the energy lost due to friction

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
Upright, sorry about this, it looks upright when I upload it..

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 344
Come on.. I know you smart cats know what this angular momentum term is all about. PLEASE I AM DESPERATE.

Sorry my iPad edited this very poorly...4. A solid ball of radius R initially slides without rotating on a horizontal surface with a variable coefficient of friction. If the initial speed is Vo, find the speed when the ball begins to roll without slipping. Also find the energy lost due to friction

I understand the angular momentum is conserved but I don't understand the final term in the angular momentum. I can't find out anything, it's bewildering me.

Related to Explanation of an angular momentum term

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is different from linear momentum in that it is specific to rotational motion, while linear momentum is specific to linear motion. Angular momentum also takes into account the distribution of mass in an object, while linear momentum does not.

What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This formula can also be written as L = r x p, where r is the object's distance from the axis of rotation and p is its linear momentum.

How does angular momentum change in a closed system?

In a closed system where there are no external torques acting on the objects, the total angular momentum remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. This means that if one object in the system increases its angular momentum, another object in the system must decrease its angular momentum by an equal amount.

What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

There are many real-life examples of angular momentum, including spinning tops, rotating planets, spinning ice skaters, and spinning wheels. In each of these examples, the object is rotating around an axis, and its angular momentum is conserved unless an external torque is applied.