Explaining Why Sand Loses Contact with Cone During Oscillation

In summary: but the mods will take it into consideration.just like the post we do not write explicitly but the mods will take it into consideration.
mystreet123

Homework Statement

Some sand is sprinkled onto the cone. The sand oscillates vertically with the frequency of the cone. The amplitude of oscillation of the cone is increased.
At a particular amplitude of oscillation the sand begins to lose contact with the cone.
By considering the forces acting on a grain of sand, explain why this happens.

Homework Equations

From mark scheme it says "Weight - contact force = m(w^2)x So as x increases, contact force decreases, sand loses contact with cone when contact force = 0"

But I don't understand why it is m(w^2)x, not -m(w^2)x? as I thought they take upward as negative and losing contact only happens at maximum upward displacement position.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mystreet123 said:
From mark scheme it says "Weight - contact force = m(w^2)x So as x increases, contact force decreases, sand loses contact with cone when contact force = 0"

But I don't understand why it is m(w^2)x, not -m(w^2)x? as I thought they take upward as negative and losing contact only happens at maximum upward displacement position.

pl. make out a diagram of oscillations and then mark out the forces acting on sand particle ;perhaps then you can gigure out the contact forces and required centrepetal/centrifugal force .

drvrm said:
pl. make out a diagram of oscillations and then mark out the forces acting on sand particle ;perhaps then you can gigure out the contact forces and required centrepetal/centrifugal force .
Yes I did!

mystreet123 said:
Yes I did!
then show it as attachment so that we can get to your problem

drvrm said:
then show it as attachment so that we can get to your problem
_k8xiwHxV0bG9Qm2Ts8oD_m3dnq_2E2pyOJ2Xu78HfRZMMWe_zcAIIcCDmaJA?width=660&height=326&cropmode=none.jpg

Last edited:
@mystreet123
well the attachment fails to open -perhaps a template will be better so that it can easily open.

drvrm said:
@mystreet123
well the attachment fails to open -perhaps a template will be better so that it can easily open.
Can you open it now?

mystreet123 said:
Can you open it now?

yes, thanks

at some amplitude of oscillations of the cone the sand particles leaves the contact with surface

mystreet123 said:
At a particular amplitude of oscillation the sand begins to lose contact with the cone.

mystreet123 said:
From mark scheme it says "Weight - contact force = m(w^2)x S

suppose N is the contact force so N= mg - mw^2.x at any displacement x so when contact force is zero the wt will be balanced by the term on the right hand ;
as i feel mg is down ward so mw^2 .x shoukd be upward.

or think in terms of F(harmonic osc.) = F(Weight) -N
what is wrong in the above picture of forces?

drvrm said:
at some amplitude of oscillations of the cone the sand particles leaves the contact with surfacesuppose N is the contact force so N= mg - mw^2.x at any displacement x so when contact force is zero the wt will be balanced by the term on the right hand ;
as i feel mg is down ward so mw^2 .x shoukd be upward.
what is wrong in the above picture of forces?
But why I found N-mg = mw^2.x at highest position? if we take upward positive

Because when I use this formula, as x increases, N also increases, instead of becoming zero

mystreet123 said:
mw^2.x at highest position?

in a harmonic oscillation the force which is always a restoring force acts opposite to the displacement

F(osc)= -constantx displacement
if displacement is +ve - force will be negative and just vice-versa
if displacement from mean position is negative then force will be in opposite direction.
will this clarify your picture?

Likes mystreet123
drvrm said:
in a harmonic oscillation the force which is always a restoring force acts opposite to the displacement

F(osc)= -constantx displacement
if displacement is +ve - force will be negative and just vice-versa
if displacement from mean position is negative then force will be in opposite direction.
will this clarify your picture?
Yes understood thanks!

mystreet123 said:
Yes understood thanks!

in physics forum if you give thanks then just like the post
we do not write explicitly

Related to Explaining Why Sand Loses Contact with Cone During Oscillation

1. What causes sand to lose contact with a cone during oscillation?

The loss of contact between sand and a cone during oscillation is primarily caused by the movement of the sand particles. As the cone oscillates, the sand particles also move, and this movement can cause them to lose contact with the cone.

2. Is there a specific frequency at which sand loses contact with a cone during oscillation?

There is no specific frequency at which sand always loses contact with a cone during oscillation. The frequency at which this occurs can vary depending on factors such as the type of sand, the size and shape of the cone, and the amplitude of the oscillation.

3. Can the angle of the cone affect when sand loses contact during oscillation?

Yes, the angle of the cone can play a role in when sand loses contact during oscillation. A steeper angle can cause the sand particles to move more quickly, making it more likely for them to lose contact with the cone. A shallower angle may allow the particles to maintain contact for longer.

4. How does the size and shape of the sand particles impact the loss of contact with the cone?

The size and shape of the sand particles can impact the loss of contact with the cone during oscillation. Smaller particles may be more easily moved by the oscillation and can lose contact more quickly. Similarly, irregularly shaped particles may also be more easily moved than uniformly shaped particles, leading to quicker loss of contact.

5. What applications does understanding the loss of contact between sand and a cone during oscillation have?

Understanding the loss of contact between sand and a cone during oscillation has applications in fields such as geology, material science, and engineering. It can help engineers design more stable structures and better predict how materials will behave under different conditions. It can also aid in the study of natural phenomena, such as earthquakes and landslides.