Explaining transverse theory of light using EM theory

In summary: No, there are other ways to write a wave equation, but using this approach, the component of E in the direction of wave propagation is always zero.
Pushoam
Selection_002.png

just below eqn 3.25, it is said:
At any given time, Ex is constant
for all values of x, but of course, this possibility cannot
therefore correspond to a traveling wave advancing in the
positive x-direction.

Why can't Ex be a constant?

Science news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Why can't Ex be a constant?
Because then it wouldn't be a wave. It would be a straight line, not a wave.

Wave is propagating in x- direc.
em wave is transverse. This means that the varying component has to be perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.
So, it's the y or z component of the E which has to vary, not the x- component of the E.
So, the unvarying component i.e.x- component of the E could be constant.
What is wrong with this argument?

Pushoam said:
Wave is propagating in x- direc.
em wave is transverse. This means that the varying component has to be perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.
No, this is exactly wrong. A plane wave propagating in the x direction varies along x and t, not along y and z. You have this completely backwards. Just look at the equation for a plane wave to see.

Dale said:
A plane wave propagating in the x direction varies along x and t,
I didn't get what you meant by this.
What I want to say is : for an em plane wave propagating in the x direction , it is y or z component of the E which varies along x and t,not the x component of E.
That is Ey(x,t) or Ez (x ,t) could vary, while Ex(x,t) is constant.
Now the book says that Ex(x,t) has to be zero.
So, my question is why can't it be any nonzero constant?
Selection_004.png
Selection_005.png
In the first paragraph, what is meant by the phrase "em waves in equilibrium"?
Does it mean that energy density of the em wave remain constant?

Pushoam said:
So, my question is why can't it be any nonzero constant?
Because then it wouldn't be a wave.

If f is a wave in the x direction then ##\partial f/\partial x \ne 0##. So since ##\partial E_x/\partial x =0## it is not a wave. There may be a field in the x direction, but it doesn't make a wave.

Likes Pushoam
A free em. wave obeys (in HL units with ##c=1##)
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}+\partial_t \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}-\partial_t vec{E}=0.$$
Now make a plane-wave ansatz (to be seen as finding the properties of the Fourier modes to be used in a Fourier-transform representation of the true fields, which are always "wave packets" of finite energy and momentum),
$$\vec{E}=\vec{E}_0 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})+\text{c.c.},$$
$$\vec{B}=\vec{B}_0 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})+\text{c.c.}.$$
Here ##\vec{E}_0## and ##\vec{B}_0## are functions of ##\omega## and ##\vec{k}##. Now using the first two equations you get
$$\vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}_0=\vec{k} \cdot \vec{B}_0=0.$$
This already implies that the em. field is transverse.

Now take the curl of the third equation. For the here used Cartesian components you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E})=-\Delta \vec{E}=-\partial_t \vec{\nabla} \times{\vec{B}}=-\partial_t^2 \vec{E},$$
i.e.,
$$(\partial_t^2-\Delta) \vec{E}=0.$$
Plugging in the plane-wave ansatz for ##\vec{E}## gives the dispersion relation
$$\omega=\pm |\vec{k}|.$$
The same holds true for ##\vec{B}##, which equation you find by taking the curl of the 4th Maxwell equation and use the third to eliminate ##\vec{E}##, leading to the wave equation
$$(\partial_t^2-\Delta) \vec{B}=0.$$
Now given ##\vec{E}## we can evaluate ##\vec{B}## from the 3rd equation,
$$\partial_t \vec{B}=-\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\mathrm{i} \omega \vec{B}=-\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \times \vec{E}_0 \exp(\ldots)=-\mathrm{\omega} \vec{B}_0 \exp(\ldots).$$
This gives
$$\vec{B}_0=\hat{k} \times \vec{E}_0,$$
i.e., given ##\vec{E}_0## with ##\vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}_0##=0 gives uniquely ##\vec{B}_0##, i.e., ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{B}## are perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to ##\vec{k}##.

Likes BvU
vanhees71 said:
Now using the first two equations you get
⃗k⋅⃗E0=⃗k⋅⃗B0=0.​
\vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}_0=\vec{k} \cdot \vec{B}_0=0.
2017-06-07-215315.jpg

Thank you, Vanhees 71.

What is meant by c.c. and HL units?

Dale said:
Because then it wouldn't be a wave.
Now, I got Dale's argument, too.
If Ex is not 0, then k has to be zero and k being 0 means there is no wave.

Thank you, Dale,too.This is true for plane wave.
In general ,is it always true that component of E in the direction of wave propagation is zero?

Any wave could be written as a combination of plane waves .
For each plane wave, component of E in the direction of wave propagation is zero.
So, using superposition principle ,for any wave, component of E in the direction of wave propagation is zero .

Is this o.k.?

Last edited:
HL units = Heaviside-Lorentz units; c.c.=complex conjugate. Since the Maxwell equations are linear differential equations with real coefficients you can just evaluate everything for the exp function, which makes the calculations a lot more easy than using the trigonometric functions sin and cos.

Related to Explaining transverse theory of light using EM theory

What is the transverse theory of light?

The transverse theory of light is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. It states that light travels in the form of electromagnetic waves, with both electric and magnetic components oscillating perpendicularly to the direction of propagation.

How does the transverse theory of light relate to electromagnetic theory?

The transverse theory of light is based on the principles of electromagnetic theory, which describe the behavior and interactions of electric and magnetic fields. This theory explains how light is a form of electromagnetic radiation and helps us understand its properties and behavior.

What are some real-world applications of the transverse theory of light?

The transverse theory of light has numerous applications in various fields, including telecommunications, optics, and medical imaging. It is used in the development of technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar cells, and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light in different environments.

How does the transverse theory of light explain the phenomenon of polarization?

Polarization is a phenomenon in which light waves vibrate in a specific direction, rather than in all directions. The transverse theory of light explains that this is due to the electric and magnetic fields of the electromagnetic wave oscillating in a specific orientation, causing the light to have a preferred direction of vibration.

Are there any limitations to the transverse theory of light?

While the transverse theory of light has been extensively studied and is widely accepted, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot fully explain the behavior of light in certain situations, such as when it interacts with very small particles. In these cases, other theories, such as quantum mechanics, may be used to provide a more comprehensive understanding.