Explaining the Physical Significance of Terms in Nuclear Fusion Equations

• Thread starter Soilwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion
In summary, the physical significance of the expression is related to the impact parameter, or what b is related to.
Soilwork
I just need a little help in interpreting a question.

Question
Identify the terms in the above two expression and give their physical significance

What do you think they mean by physical significance?

These are the two expressions by the way.

[tex]\epsilon = n_a n_x \frac{< \sigma V >} {\rho}[/tex]

[tex]< \sigma V > =( \frac {8} {m \pi})^{1/2} (kT)^{-3/2} \int_{0}^{100000} S(E) e^{(\frac{-E} {kT} - \frac {b} {E^{1/2}})} dE[/tex]

What I've done is explain all the terms in these expressions

na = number of particles per unit volume of nuclide a
nx = number of particles per unit volume of nuclide x
Q = Energy per reaction
[tex] \rho[/tex] = density
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = power generated per unit mass

[tex]<\sigma V >[/tex]= the velocity integrated cross-section
m = reduced mass of the target-projectile system.
k = Boltzmann’s constant.
T = temperature of the system
S(E) = cross-section factor
E = Energy
b = this is just a term that simplifies the equation and here all I did was I gave the full expression.

I was thinking that maybe the physical significance would be to say that [tex] e^{\frac {-b} {E^{1/2}} [/tex] is the probability of penetration of the energy barrier and [tex] e^{\frac{-E} {kT}}[/tex] is the maxwellian distribution etc.??

P.S. The integral is meant to be infinity but I didn't know the syntax

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\infty[/tex] "[tag]\infty[/tag]" gives infinity. Check the LaTeX thread.

Typesetting in LaTeX - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

I believe b is the impact parameter, or is related. The 'b' must have units of [itex]\sqrt{energy}[/itex], so is related to velocity or momentum.

From what text is the second expression for [itex]<\sigma V >[/itex]?

Here is some useful discussion on distributions, particularly Maxwell-Boltzmann. See plate 3.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/disfcn.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/math/disfcn.html#c1

Last edited:
yes, your physical intuition about the physical significance is correct.

The exp(-E/kT) comes from the Boltzmann distribution, the exp(-b/sqrt(E)) comes from the penetration factor. The first function decreases with energy (there are less fast particles), the second increases (it is easier for fast particles to tunnel through the potential barrier. When you multiply the two functions, you get the Gamow Peak. Check it out in google.

b comes from the tunneling calculation. It is: [itex]b \equiv {\sqrt{2\mu} \pi Z_a Z_b e^2 \over \hbar}[/itex]. The full tunnelling + reaction includes also the nuclear cross section which enters through S(E).

In the sun, the Gamow peak comes out to be at about 5 times kT while other reactions have it much higher (e.g., 20 times kT for typical CNO reactions)

– http://www.sciencebits.com"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for you help guys. That's cleared the question up.

Related to Explaining the Physical Significance of Terms in Nuclear Fusion Equations

What is thermonuclear fusion?

Thermonuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy and is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

How is thermonuclear fusion different from nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission involves splitting the nucleus of an atom into smaller fragments, while thermonuclear fusion involves combining nuclei to form a larger one. Additionally, fusion releases much more energy than fission and produces less radioactive waste.

What elements are involved in thermonuclear fusion?

Thermonuclear fusion typically involves the fusion of hydrogen isotopes such as deuterium and tritium, which combine to form a helium nucleus. This process is also known as the D-T fusion reaction. Other elements, such as lithium and boron, can also be used in certain fusion reactions.

What are the potential benefits of thermonuclear fusion?

If harnessed for energy production, thermonuclear fusion could provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. It would also produce significantly less radioactive waste compared to current nuclear power plants, and the raw materials required for fusion are abundant on Earth.

What are the challenges in achieving practical thermonuclear fusion?

One of the main challenges in achieving practical thermonuclear fusion is creating and sustaining the extremely high temperatures and pressures required for the fusion reaction to occur. Another challenge is controlling the plasma, or ionized gas, where the fusion reaction takes place. Additionally, there are still technological and engineering hurdles to overcome in order to create a self-sustaining fusion reaction that produces more energy than it consumes.