Explaining the Noisier Winter Wind Phenomenon

• Thread starter nantz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary, the reason for the difference in noise level between a 20 mph summer wind and a 20 mph cold winter wind is due to the density of the air. In winter, the air is denser and therefore has more momentum and force when blowing against surfaces, resulting in louder noises such as whistles and howls. This is also influenced by the direction of the wind and any obstructions in its path. Additionally, the difference in relative humidity between summer and winter can also contribute to the varying noise levels.
nantz
When a 20 mph summer wind blows past my window I don't hear anything. When a 20 mph cold winter wind blows past my window I hear whistles and howls and moans. Is there an easy explanation for this?
nantz

Physics news on Phys.org
air is denser in winter and ( this will get me in trouble) sound travels more easily thru dense air vs hot disfussed air..my opinion

That was my first thought too. I'm wondering if there might also be more obstruction to the airflow, what with ice build-ups, snowbanks, and the like.

Rather than more obstructions in winter I suspect it is the other way around: No leaves.

That could have something to do with it, but I've noticed the effect in places where we didn't have trees.

Think viscosity.

I'm on the 6th floor, no trees, no snowbanks, no ice build-up, no utility wires to vibrate. But it sure is noisy.

Your apparent noise levels are more likely due to different wind directions, depending on where you live and orientation of the window. Along east coast, USA, summer winds are usually from the southern quadrants, winter from the northern. So I hear louder winter wind noise from my northerly facing bedroom window...

I just skimmed Wikipedia on relative humidity:

"Water vapor is a lighter gas than air at the same temperature, so humid air will tend to rise by natural convection. This is a mechanism behind thunderstorms and other weather phenomena.."

If that's accurate, I'm thinking that winter wind IS more dense so at 20 mph has more momentum, hence more force than less dense summer air at the same wind speed...hence it has more force when it does blow against any surface.

Last edited:

Related to Explaining the Noisier Winter Wind Phenomenon

1. Why does the winter wind seem noisier than other seasons?

The winter wind may seem noisier due to a combination of factors. First, the colder temperatures and lower humidity levels in winter can cause objects to contract and expand, leading to creaking and cracking noises. Additionally, winter winds tend to be stronger and more gusty, which can create more noise as it passes through or around structures. Finally, the lack of leaves on trees and other vegetation can also contribute to the perception of increased noise as there is less absorption of sound.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for the sound of winter wind?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for the sound of winter wind. The sound is created by the interaction between the wind and various objects such as trees, buildings, and other structures. The wind causes these objects to vibrate, which creates the sound we hear. The speed and direction of the wind, as well as the shape and texture of the objects, all play a role in the specific sound produced.

3. Can the noise level of winter wind be measured?

Yes, the noise level of winter wind can be measured using instruments such as sound level meters. These devices measure the sound pressure level in decibels (dB). The noise level of winter wind can vary depending on factors such as wind speed, direction, and the environment it is passing through.

4. Does the noise level of winter wind have any impact on human health?

The noise level of winter wind can have a negative impact on human health if it is loud and prolonged. Exposure to high levels of noise can lead to hearing loss, stress, and other health issues. However, the noise level of winter wind is typically not loud enough to cause harm, unless someone is exposed to it for extended periods without proper protection.

5. Can anything be done to reduce the noise of winter wind?

There are a few things that can be done to reduce the noise of winter wind. For example, adding insulation or weatherstripping to windows and doors can help reduce the sound of wind passing through small gaps. Planting trees and shrubs around your property can also act as a buffer and absorb some of the noise. Additionally, installing sound barriers such as fences or walls can help reduce the noise coming from the wind.