Explaining SO(3) and U(2) Lie Group Relationships to Non-Experts

In summary, the relationship between SO(3) and U(2) Lie groups is that U(2) is the covering group of SO(3), meaning there is a 2 to 1 map from U(2) to SO(3). This is because the complex one-dimensional projective space is homeomorphic to a 2-sphere in 3-space, and U(2) is simply connected. The space of deck transformations for this map is C_2. The unit quaternions can be used to write down this map, and it induces a length-preserving map from S^2 to itself. To understand this concept, it is recommended to consult Michael Artin's algebra book.
belliott4488
What's the correct way to state the relationship between these two Lie groups? One is the "covering group" of the other, right? Okay, then - what's that mean, to a non-expert?

I know the basics, i.e. SO(3) can be represented by rotation matrices in 3-space, and U(2) does the same in a complex 2-space, but how are the two connected?

What I'd really like to know is how to explain to non-physicists (like the engineers I work with) how it is that quaternions are used to represent body orientations in 3-space and why the angles pick up a factor of 1/2. I know it's connected to the business of a 2-pi rotation in complex 2-space picking up a factor of -1 so that you have to do a rotation by 4-pi to get back to your initial orientation ... but I don't really know what that means.

Any helpful pictures or explanations?

Thanks,
Bruce

Mathematics news on Phys.org
you might consult michael artins algebra book.

the base point of the connection is probably the fact that the complex one dimensional projective space, is homeomorphic to a 2 sphere in 3 space.

It means that there is a 2 to 1 map (homeomorphism) from one to the other, and SU(2) is simply connected.

We thus have the space of deck transformations (this is a group action on the preimages of a point, essentially) as C_2.

OK, that didn't help. But to visualize things, we have "The Soup Bowl Trick" to help us.

Imagine you are holding a bowl of soup in the palm of one hand in front of you. Your task it so spin it through 720 degress without spilling a drop. You can do this - start with it in your right hand, lift it up so you look like the statue of liberty, now rotate your hand clockwise - you'll now have to bend your elbow to do this and bring the bowl down and under your armpit. So, the bowl has spun twice round, in one loop...

Well, thanks, Matt, but I've never been able to get from that trick (also known as the Filipino candle dance, after a traditional folk dance where they do the same thing with candle on the palms of their hands - as well as on their heads) to understanding the space of two complex dimensions.

We live in the space of three real dimensions, don't we? So what do such tricks have to do with U(2)?

Last edited:
It tells you what is happening with the rotations, i.e. it shows that the group SO(2) has fundamental group C_2. It isn't saying anything about SU(2) at all. That there is a double cover by SU(2) is a nice mathematical fact. I seem to remember you can use the unit quarternions in a very nice way to write down the map.

projective one space is by definition the set of complex lines throiugh the origin of complex 2 dimensional space.

an element of U(2) is a complex linear map of C^2 and hence carries lines through C^2 to lines through C^2, i.e. induces a map of the projective line to itself.

now the complex projective line is homeomorphic to a sphere in R^3, hence an element of U(2) induces a map of S^2 to itself. one then needs to check that an element of U(2) induces a length preserving map of the sphere to itself.

i.e. this is the map U(2)-->O(3).

Whoa, mathwonk - you said a mouthful! :rolleyes: I think I'd like to reach the point where I could read your last post and actually understand it ... time to go get an algebra book and start working on it, maybe!

Thanks,
Bruce

try artins algebra for a less abstract, more explicit discussion

if the covering map is supposed to be 2:1, try to see why two elements of U (2) induce the same map of linrs through the origin. minus signs will presumably be involved.

Last edited:

Related to Explaining SO(3) and U(2) Lie Group Relationships to Non-Experts

1. What are SO(3) and U(2) Lie groups?

SO(3) and U(2) are both mathematical groups that represent certain symmetries in nature. SO(3) is the special orthogonal group in three dimensions, which describes the rotations of objects in three-dimensional space. U(2), also known as the unitary group in two dimensions, represents the transformations of complex numbers in two dimensions.

2. How are SO(3) and U(2) related to each other?

SO(3) and U(2) are both examples of Lie groups, which are groups that have a continuous, smooth structure. In fact, U(2) is a subgroup of SO(3), meaning that it is a smaller group that is contained within SO(3). This relationship can be seen by representing complex numbers in two dimensions as matrices, which are also used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the significance of SO(3) and U(2) in science?

SO(3) and U(2) are important in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, such as molecules and crystals, and to study the properties and behavior of these systems. They also have applications in fields like robotics and computer graphics.

4. Can you give an example of how SO(3) and U(2) are used in real life?

One example of the use of SO(3) and U(2) is in computer graphics and animation. By understanding the symmetries of objects and how they can be transformed, computer programs can create realistic and believable movements and interactions between objects in virtual environments. Another example is in quantum mechanics, where U(2) is used to describe the quantum states of particles.

5. Are there other Lie groups besides SO(3) and U(2) and how are they different?

Yes, there are many other Lie groups, each with their own unique properties and applications. Some other examples include the special unitary group SU(3), which is used in particle physics, and the Lorentz group SO(1,3), which describes the symmetries of spacetime in relativity. These groups may have different dimensions, different types of transformations, and different applications in science and mathematics.