Explaining Logical Implication: "If P Then Q

• Thread starter physicsuser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    implication
In summary, implication (if p then q) can be understood as a logical statement that is true unless p is true and q is false. In the given truth table, it is shown that if p is true, then q must also be true for the statement to remain true. However, if p is false, q can be either true or false and the statement remains true. This can be illustrated with the example of 'n is divisible by 4' and 'n is even', where the statement 'if n is divisible by 4, then n is even' is true, even if there are cases where n is not divisible by 4 but still even.
physicsuser
Can someone try and explain it to me?
I cannot understand the meaning of implication ( if p then q) from truth table

p q p => q
t t t
t f f
f t t
f f t

so it is if p is true then q is true or if p is false then q is false?

then why if p is false and q is true, p implies q is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
If p is false, q can be either true or false, therefore p=>q remains true. The only case where it is contradicted is p true and q false.

This is one I have to explain a lot to new students. Here's the example that I find useful.

P is the statement 'n is divisible by 4'
Q is the statement 'n is even'

We can all agree that the proposition 'If P then Q ' is true, yep?

But n=6 is a case where P is false and Q is true.

Related to Explaining Logical Implication: "If P Then Q

What is the meaning of "if P then Q" in logical implication?

Logical implication, represented by the conditional statement "if P then Q," is a form of reasoning in which the truth of one statement (P) leads to the truth of another statement (Q). This means that if P is true, then Q must also be true. In other words, P is a sufficient condition for Q.

What is the difference between logical implication and causation?

While there are similarities between logical implication and causation, they are not the same. In logical implication, the truth of P is sufficient for the truth of Q, but it does not necessarily mean that P causes Q. Causation implies a direct relationship between P and Q, while logical implication only suggests a relationship between the two statements.

Can "if P then Q" statements be false?

Yes, an "if P then Q" statement can be false if P is true and Q is false. This is because the statement only requires that if P is true, then Q must also be true. If Q is false, then the statement is false, but if Q is true, the statement remains true.

What is the contrapositive of "if P then Q"?

The contrapositive of "if P then Q" is "if not Q then not P." This means that if Q is not true, then P cannot be true. The contrapositive is logically equivalent to the original statement and can be used in logical proofs and deductions.

How is logical implication used in everyday life?

Logical implication is used in everyday life in various ways, such as in decision making, problem solving, and reasoning. It allows us to draw conclusions and make predictions based on given information. For example, if it is raining outside (P), then I will bring an umbrella (Q). This helps us plan and make decisions based on logical reasoning.