Explaining Hookes Law to a GCSE Physics Student

In summary, Hooke's law states that the restoring force exerted by a spring on an end (in SI units: N or kg·m/s2) is inversely proportional to the extension (a distance, in SI units: meters) of the spring.
cwilloughby21
I am a GCSE Physics Student I was hoping somebody would be able to help me when I have been studying Hookes law, we have only looked at a basic equation extension = extented length - original length. We have also look at how the increase in mass is directly proportional to the extension until plastic deformation occurs. I was then looking through my revsion notes and the equation F=-KX came up. I looked this up and found that
athematically, Hooke's law states that

F=-kx,

where

x is the displacement of the spring's end from its equilibrium position (a distance, in SI units: meters);
F is the restoring force exerted by the spring on that end (in SI units: N or kg·m/s2); and
k is a constant called the rate or spring constant (in SI units: N/m or kg/s2).

this makes no sense to me
Could somebody please explain this to me
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I'm in gr 12 so I don't know how much help I am, but I can try. Think about a spring for one second:

A spring can be stretched or compressed. When a spring is stretched, or compressed, it has POTENTIAL ELASIC ENERGY. When the spring is at eqilbrium postion, that means it has not been stretched or compressed therefore it has no potential elastic energy. K is just a constant ( a given number) that the spring has. Finally, x is the distance the springs been stretched or compressed FROM EQILBRIUM POSTION.

If you have anymore questions just ask, I hope this helped.

cwilloughby21 said:
this makes no sense to me
Why doesn't that make sense?

Oh yeah, Ee (which is potential elastic energry) = 1/2*k*x^2 this is formula you may use.

Anythin we could add Doc?

thanks hellohi that was really helpful :smile:

Np man, I'm glad it helped:)!

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states that the force exerted on an elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the material. In simpler terms, it means that the more you stretch or compress an object, the more force it will exert.

2. Who discovered Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law was named after the English scientist Robert Hooke, who first described the principle in 1660. However, it is important to note that other scientists had observed similar phenomena before Hooke, but he was the first to formally state the relationship between force and displacement.

3. What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the material), and x is the displacement of the material. This formula is also known as the spring equation.

4. What is the significance of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of elastic materials, such as springs and rubber bands. It also provides a mathematical model for predicting the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a material to a certain point. This has many practical applications, from designing buildings and bridges to understanding the mechanics of the human body.

5. Are there any limitations to Hooke's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to Hooke's Law. It only applies to materials that behave elastically, meaning they can return to their original shape after the force is removed. It also assumes that the force and displacement are directly proportional, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. Additionally, Hooke's Law does not take into account factors such as temperature and time, which can affect the behavior of materials.