Explaining Forces in Bicycle Riding: How to Help Your Little Brother

In summary, the conversation was about a physics problem given by the teacher to a student. The problem involved teaching a little brother how to ride a bike and comparing the forces exerted by the student and the little brother in different scenarios. The student believes that they exert more force on their little brother in both scenarios. Additionally, the student asked for help in understanding Newton's laws of motion for an upcoming test. The three laws are: 1) an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force, 2) force equals mass times acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
aznspx
Hi guys, my teacher gave every person in my class a problem to think about over the weekend...it should be pretty easy but let's just say that physics isn't my subject hahaha. well i was hoping you guys could help me out with this, the problem says:

"You are teaching your little brother to ride a bicycle. To get him started while he is speeding up, how does the force you exert on your brother compare to the force he exerts on you? Is the former greater than, less than, or equal to the latter? Explain your reasoning. As he continues to ride along, he gets scared and asks that you stop him so he doesn't fall. While you are slowing him down, how does the magnitude of the force you exert on him compare to the force he exerts on you? Is the former greater than, less than, or equal to the latter? Explain your reasoning."

this is what i was thinking:
1st question - you exert more force on the little brother
2nd question - you still exert more force on him

correct me if I'm wrong, and can somebody help me explain why it's so? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are Newton's laws of motion?

First Law: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Second Law: The force of an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration.

Third Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

sorry for the double post, but can someone please help me? i need to know for tomorrow

Related to Explaining Forces in Bicycle Riding: How to Help Your Little Brother

1. How do forces affect bicycle riding?

Forces play a crucial role in bicycle riding. The most important force is the force of gravity, which pulls the rider and the bicycle towards the ground. Another important force is the force of friction, which helps to keep the wheels of the bicycle in contact with the ground. Finally, the rider also applies a force through pedaling, which propels the bicycle forward.

2. How can I help my little brother understand forces in bicycle riding?

One way to help your little brother understand forces in bicycle riding is to use real-life examples and demonstrations. You can take him on a bike ride and point out how different forces are affecting the movement of the bicycle. You can also use simple experiments, such as riding the bike on different surfaces to demonstrate the effects of friction.

3. What are some common misconceptions about forces in bicycle riding?

One common misconception is that pedaling is the only force that moves the bicycle forward. In reality, pedaling is just one of the many forces at play. Another misconception is that a heavier bicycle will be more difficult to ride. In fact, a heavier bicycle can provide more stability and may require less force to ride.

4. How can understanding forces improve my bicycle riding skills?

By understanding forces in bicycle riding, you can learn how to use them to your advantage. For example, by shifting your weight and adjusting your pedaling, you can navigate through different terrains more efficiently. You can also use your knowledge of forces to maintain better balance and control while riding.

5. Are there any safety considerations related to forces in bicycle riding?

Yes, understanding forces in bicycle riding can help you stay safe while riding. For example, knowing how to properly apply the brakes to counteract the force of gravity can prevent accidents. Also, understanding the effects of wind resistance can help you choose the appropriate gear and riding position to minimize the impact of strong winds.