Explaining Bonding & Mass in Chemical Reactions

In summary, bonding and mass play crucial roles in chemical reactions. Bonding refers to the attraction between atoms that holds them together in a compound, and different types of bonds (such as ionic, covalent, and metallic) can determine the properties and behavior of a substance. Mass, on the other hand, refers to the amount of matter present in a substance and is conserved during chemical reactions. This means that the total mass of reactants must equal the total mass of products. Understanding bonding and mass is essential in predicting and explaining the outcomes of chemical reactions.
jbar18
This at first may sound like a question based in chemistry, but I feel it is more of a particle physics question.

When a chemical reaction occurs, it can be exothermic or endothermic. It is my understanding that if bonds are formed, energy is released, and when bonds are broken, energy is used. The explanation that I heard was that when two atoms are bonded, they have less mass than if they were separate, and the extra mass is released as energy, according to E=mc^2.

But why are do they have less mass when they are bonded? Bonds are essentially just the sharing of electrons, right? (I know there can be ionic, metallic and covalent, but they are all based around the electrons) So what I'm having trouble getting my head around is, if you have a couple of atoms flying around, and then they happen to bond, why does that release energy? How can the transition from an electron moving to an electron staying 'still' release energy? And why do two atoms have less mass when they are joined than when they are separate? Heat is just radiation, right? So where is the radiation coming from when the electrons have stuck?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are confusing nuclear reactions, where these is mass to energy conversion, with chemical reactions. I don't know very much about the latter, but I believe the energy comes from changes in the energy levels of the electrons.

mathman said:
It sounds like you are confusing nuclear reactions, where these is mass to energy conversion, with chemical reactions. I don't know very much about the latter, but I believe the energy comes from changes in the energy levels of the electrons.

There is no fundamental difference between the change in mass due to chemical bonds and the change in mass due to nuclear bonds, only the amount of energy involved.

QuantumPion said:
There is no fundamental difference between the change in mass due to chemical bonds and the change in mass due to nuclear bonds, only the amount of energy involved.

So what is the theory behind this? Why do things have less over all mass when they are bonded? The idea of having less mass and so releasing energy makes sense to me (well as much sense at it can, at this stage), but I've yet to come across any reason why the over all mass is less.

jbar18 said:
So what is the theory behind this? Why do things have less over all mass when they are bonded? The idea of having less mass and so releasing energy makes sense to me (well as much sense at it can, at this stage), but I've yet to come across any reason why the over all mass is less.
All matter wants to degenerate to a state where all mass is converted to pure energy (heat), subject to constraints. One constraint is conservation of baryon number. So a neutron (baryon number 1) will decay to a proton (baryon number 1) because the proton is lighter, and the process stops there, because the proton is the lightest baryon.

Bob S

Bob S said:
All matter wants to degenerate to a state where all mass is converted to pure energy (heat), subject to constraints. One constraint is conservation of baryon number. So a neutron (baryon number 1) will decay to a proton (baryon number 1) because the proton is lighter, and the process stops there, because the proton is the lightest baryon.

Bob S

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. So how does this apply to chemical bonding, where the bond is the electromagnetic force between protons and electrons? As far as I'm aware the proton number in the individual atoms of the molecules doesn't change, so where is the heat coming from when a bond is formed in this case?

jbar18 said:
This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. So how does this apply to chemical bonding, where the bond is the electromagnetic force between protons and electrons? As far as I'm aware the proton number in the individual atoms of the molecules doesn't change, so where is the heat coming from when a bond is formed in this case?
It's still the same thing. The mass of a hydrogen molecule is about 4.5 eV less than the sum of masses of two hydrogen atoms. See

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/molecule/hmol.html

So the natural form of hydrogen gas is a diatomic molecule. The molecular bonding energy is probably released as a ~2800-Angstrom photon.

Two hydrogen atoms have a total mass of ~ 2(938.3 + 0.511 - 13.6·10-6) MeV.

Bob S

Related to Explaining Bonding & Mass in Chemical Reactions

1. How do atoms bond in chemical reactions?

Atoms bond in chemical reactions through the sharing, gaining, or losing of electrons to achieve a stable electron configuration. This results in the formation of chemical bonds, such as covalent, ionic, and metallic bonds.

2. What is the difference between covalent and ionic bonds?

In covalent bonds, atoms share electrons to achieve a stable electron configuration. In ionic bonds, atoms transfer electrons to achieve a stable electron configuration, resulting in the formation of positively and negatively charged ions.

3. How does mass change in a chemical reaction?

The total mass of the reactants in a chemical reaction is equal to the total mass of the products. This is known as the law of conservation of mass. However, the mass may appear to change due to changes in state or the formation of new substances.

4. What is the role of a catalyst in a chemical reaction?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. It lowers the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making the reaction faster.

5. How do you calculate the molar mass of a compound?

To calculate the molar mass of a compound, you add up the atomic masses of all the elements present in the compound. The atomic masses can be found on the periodic table, and the result is expressed in grams per mole (g/mol).