Explaining a Conceptual Physics Problem with Free Body Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass being dropped onto a spring and finding the velocity of the mass at a certain point in the spring's compression. The conversation delves into the concepts of potential and kinetic energy and the role they play in the system. There is also a discussion about the correct approach to finding the spring constant and a clarification on the mistake in the given solution. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of accurately understanding and applying principles of energy and equilibrium in solving the problem.
cowmoo32
I'm reviewing some problems from a few months ago and I remember getting hung on this before. A mass is dropped from a height h above a spring. I am given the deflection of the spring when the mass stops moving momentarily. The spring constant in the solution is given by mg/x. I understand how that works if the mass is placed on a spring, but why is the extra force of the mass falling not accounted for? Why am I incorrect in saying that all of the kinetic energy of the mass falling is converted into potential energy for the spring? I tried the latter and came up with a close answer, but not the same as the solution. The mass is momentarily at rest. This isn't after the spring has damped out and stopped moving. The end goal of the problem is to find the velocity of the mass at some smaller x once the spring starts pushing it back up during the first oscillation.

Drawing a free body diagram of the mass just above the spring and after it hits, F = mg for both of them, but in the second one the spring is pushing back. I know F=ma=kx and a is constant, but if a mass is dropped on a spring, the spring will compress more than it would if the mass was gently placed on top.

edit:
aNb6M.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Initially the mass is not moving, so it has only PE. When the mass is falling before it hits the spring, it has a combination of PE and KE. When the mass is falling after hitting the spring, it has a combination of PE and KE, and the spring also has a combination of PE and KE. When the mass stops at the bottom of its travel momentarily, it has only PE, and the spring only has PE.

So what can you say about the sums of PE and KE at any particular moment in this sequence? Does that help answer your question?

I agree with you (cowmoo32). k should have been determined by setting v = 0 in the energy equation.

berkeman said:
Initially the mass is not moving, so it has only PE. When the mass is falling before it hits the spring, it has a combination of PE and KE. When the mass is falling after hitting the spring, it has a combination of PE and KE, and the spring also has a combination of PE and KE. When the mass stops at the bottom of its travel momentarily, it has only PE, and the spring only has PE.

So what can you say about the sums of PE and KE at any particular moment in this sequence? Does that help answer your question?
The sums should be the same, correct? When the mass has fallen the initial h + deflection, all of the energy in the system is now PEspring, at least that makes sense in my head. Why, then, do I get an incorrect value when I set mg(h + delta) = 1/2kx2?

haruspex said:
I agree with you (cowmoo32). k should have been determined by setting v = 0 in the energy equation.
Someone in my class clarified why F=mg=kx, but I still don't see why what I said above doesn't yield the right value for k.

cowmoo32 said:
Someone in my class clarified why F=mg=kx.
Then please explain it to me:confused:. When mg=kx there will be no acceleration, but it won't be at rest unless all the KE has been dissipated.

I just re-read the question, and it asks about a point in the spring compression before it reaches full compression. That means that there are all PEheight+PEspring+KEmass. Did you account for that in your work?

berkeman said:
I just re-read the question, and it asks about a point in the spring compression before it reaches full compression.
Yes, but before that you are required to deduce the spring constant from the compression extent when the mass is momentarily at rest. This is the bit that seems wrong in the embedded text. It says mg = kx there, which is wrong.

I emailed my professor and the solution is wrong. You cannot say F=mg=kx because the system is not in equilibrium. I was correct in saying that at the point of maximum compression the energy of the system is mgh=1/2kx2 where h is the distance the mass fell + the compression.

The steps in the red box in the solution you sent are not correct. I think the mistake they made is that they used the sum of the forces = 0 at the maximum compression: kx - mg = 0. The problem is that even though the velocity is zero, the acceleration is not zero at this point. It's not in equilibrium.

Related to Explaining a Conceptual Physics Problem with Free Body Diagrams

1. What is a free body diagram in conceptual physics?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in a given scenario. It helps to break down a complex problem into smaller, simpler parts and allows for a clearer understanding of the forces at play.

2. How do I create a free body diagram?

To create a free body diagram, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object. These can include gravitational forces, normal forces, frictional forces, and applied forces. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and use arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. Why are free body diagrams important in conceptual physics?

Free body diagrams are essential in conceptual physics because they help to visualize and analyze the forces acting on an object. They allow us to apply Newton's laws of motion and solve problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Can free body diagrams be used in real-life situations?

Yes, free body diagrams can be used in real-life situations to analyze and solve problems involving forces. They are commonly used in engineering, architecture, and other fields where understanding the forces acting on objects is crucial.

5. Are there any limitations to using free body diagrams?

While free body diagrams are a useful tool in conceptual physics, they do have limitations. They only consider the forces acting on an object and not the object's motion or acceleration. They also do not take into account the object's shape, size, or mass, which can affect the overall outcome of a problem.