Explain instantaneous velocity

In summary: But that tangent would give you the speed, not the velocity. To get the velocity, you need to take the derivative of the position function with respect to time, as shown above.In summary, instantaneous velocity is equal to the average velocity in the limit as \Delta t\to0, or more generally, the derivative of position with respect to time. This can be found by taking the gradient of the displacement at a given point in time on a displacement-time graph.
Miike012
The question was, Explain instantaneous velocity.

My answer:
Limit as delta(t) approaches zero of average velocity is inst. velocity. Or as delta(t) approaches zero, average velocity approaches inst. velocity.
inst. velocity is the slope of the tangent line at a given point...

Then I wrote:
V = Lim Delta(Average Velocity)/Delta(t)
Delta(t) --> 0

Is my answer totally wrong because I got 5/10 pts on the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
tangent (of what graph) gives magnitude. velocity also needs a direction.

This is the picture I added...

Attachments

• sadsadsadasfae.jpg
    sadsadsadasfae.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 558
Isnt saying slope of a tangent line at a "given point" general? It can be any point...

Miike012 said:
The question was, Explain instantaneous velocity.

My answer:
Limit as delta(t) approaches zero of average velocity is inst. velocity. Or as delta(t) approaches zero, average velocity approaches inst. velocity.
inst. velocity is the slope of the tangent line at a given point...

Then I wrote:
V = Lim Delta(Average Velocity)/Delta(t)
Delta(t) --> 0Is my answer totally wrong because I got 5/10 pts on the answer?
Your answer isn't totally wrong - its only half wrong, that's why you got half marks :wink:.

The first thing to point out is that the average velocity is

[tex]v_\text{ave} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t},[/tex]

so your limit becomes

[tex]V = \lim_{\Delta t\to0} \left(\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}\right)/\Delta t = \lim_{\Delta t\to0} \Delta x,[/tex]

which obviously isn't correct. So the limit you wrote, wasn't correct. The first part however, was okay:
Miike012 said:
inst.
However, your next sentence wasn't very clear:
Miike012 said:
velocity is the slope of the tangent line at a given point...
The tangent line to what? What are you plotting?

A better answer would have been as follows. The instantaneous velocity is equal to the average velocity in the limit as [itex]\Delta t\to0[/itex], or more generally, the derivative of position with respect to time. The velocity at a given point in time is equal to the gradient of the displacement at that point in time on a displacement-time graph.

In one dimension,

[tex]v = \lim_{t\to t_0} \frac{x(t_0)-x(t)}{t-t_0} = \frac{\text{d}x}{\text{d}t}.[/tex]

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Miike012 said:
This is the picture I added...
Well, there's your mistake. That slope is acceleration! :cry:

An "average velocity" graph doesn't make much sense (in this context). A velocity graph is velocity versus time, and that's instantaneous velocity, anyway. Or speed.

You were thinking of a position versus time graph, and finding the tangent to it.

Last edited:

Related to Explain instantaneous velocity

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the object's motion at that exact point in time.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Average velocity is the average rate of change of an object's position over a certain period of time. It does not account for any changes in direction during that time, unlike instantaneous velocity which takes into consideration the object's velocity at a single moment.

3. What is the formula for calculating instantaneous velocity?

The formula for instantaneous velocity is v = lim Δt→0 [Δx/Δt], where v is the instantaneous velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

4. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. It simply indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity, or in the negative direction of the chosen reference frame.

5. How is instantaneous velocity used in real life?

Instantaneous velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as in sports to track the speed of athletes, in traffic engineering to calculate the speed of vehicles, and in physics to understand the motion of objects and particles at precise moments in time.