Explain in layman's terms hysteresis

In summary, hysteresis is a term used to describe the energy loss that occurs in electromagnets when they are rapidly magnetized and demagnetized. This can contribute to heat in devices such as a tattoo machine, which uses a circuit with coils, a switch, and a capacitor. Finding ways to minimize hysteresis can help reduce heat in these devices.
pilot
could someone explain in layman's terms hysteresis, and why this would contribute to heat in electromagnets

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is one awesome link, Jim. Thanks! :cool:

I think I understand hysteresis, This is in relation to a tatoo machine, I posted a question which no one responded too earlier. I figured hysteresis would cause somebody to give some info. any way this is a "doorbell" circuit two coils a switch/contact with a capacitor. or an oscillating? circuit the coils magnetize and demagnetize rapidly 100 to 150 times per second. heat is my problem and how to minimize it.

Related to Explain in layman's terms hysteresis

1. What is hysteresis?

Hysteresis is a term used to describe the phenomenon where a system's output lags behind its input. In simpler terms, it means that the response of a system is not immediate and may have a delay.

2. How does hysteresis occur?

Hysteresis occurs due to the presence of a "memory" in a system, meaning that the current state of the system is influenced by its previous states. This memory can be caused by factors such as friction, magnetism, or temperature.

3. What are some examples of hysteresis in everyday life?

One common example of hysteresis is the response of a thermostat in a room. The temperature in the room may fluctuate, but the thermostat will only turn on or off once it reaches a certain threshold, creating a delay in the response. Another example is the behavior of a spring, which will only return to its original length after being stretched once it reaches a certain point.

4. Why is hysteresis important to understand?

Hysteresis can have significant effects on the behavior of systems, and understanding it is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It can also help predict and control the behavior of systems, leading to more efficient and effective designs.

5. How is hysteresis different from other types of delays?

Hysteresis is often confused with other types of delays, such as time delays or response delays. However, hysteresis is unique in that it is caused by a "memory" in the system, meaning that the current state is influenced by previous states. Other delays may be caused by factors such as processing time or distance.