Explain Graphs -- adiabatic Expansion of mono- di- and poly- gas

In summary: I know how to solve a homogeneous first order linear ordinary differential equation but there was something missing which i have got it now now thanks.
Shreyans Jain
"How it can be explained mathematically by dP/dV = -gammaP/V
AdiabaticProcesses_1.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on this?

Chestermiller said:
What are your thoughts on this?
I am not able to figure out which has greater slope kind of confused in negative slope of adiabatic

Shreyans Jain said:
I am not able to figure out which has greater slope kind of confused in negative slope of adiabatic
do you understand that ISOTHERMAL means at constant temperature and that ADIABATIC means no heat transfer?

Do you know the solution to that differential equation that you wrote down? If so, what is it?

The yellow curve shows an isothermal expansion, during the expansion heat energy must be supplied to keep the temperature constant.
The other 3 curves are all adiabatic expansions so no heat energy enters or leaves the gas. Heat energy (internal energy) is removed from the gas and therefore the values of P and V are lower than for the isothermal expansion.
Mathematical analysis will give the details of the curve shapes.
In general adiabatic curves are steeper than isothermal curves...I realize this is not a mathematically rigorous statement but it is helpful ...I hope.
Ps...make sure you are clear about this before you worry about the details of monatomic, diatomic molecules etc !

Thanks lychette and chestermiller sir, i know about the processes and i also know what happens when heat is taken out but i was not able to get the results by the differential equation.

lychette said:
The yellow curve shows an isothermal expansion, during the expansion heat energy must be supplied to keep the temperature constant.
The other 3 curves are all adiabatic expansions so no heat energy enters or leaves the gas. Heat energy (internal energy) is removed from the gas and therefore the values of P and V are lower than for the isothermal expansion.
Mathematical analysis will give the details of the curve shapes.
In general adiabatic curves are steeper than isothermal curves...I realize this is not a mathematically rigorous statement but it is helpful ...I hope.
Ps...make sure you are clear about this before you worry about the details of monatomic, diatomic molecules etc !
Sir i know about that but i am not able to get mathemtical result, if possible could you please send me those.
Thanks

Chestermiller said:
Do you know the solution to that differential equation that you wrote down? If so, what is it?
Sir, i am not able to get the mathematical result

Shreyans Jain said:
Sir, i am not able to get the mathematical result
Are you saying that you have not had a course in differential equations, and do not know how to solve a homogeneous first order linear ordinary differential equation?

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying that you have not had a course in differential equations, and do not know how to solve a homogeneous first order linear ordinary differential equation?
I know how to solve a homogeneous first order linear ordinary differential equation but there was something missing which i have got it now now thanks.

Related to Explain Graphs -- adiabatic Expansion of mono- di- and poly- gas

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in which a gas expands without any exchange of heat or matter with its surroundings. This means that the internal energy of the gas remains constant.

2. What is a monoatomic gas?

A monoatomic gas is a gas composed of single atoms, such as helium or neon. These gases have only one atom in their molecule, making them simple and easier to study.

3. What is a diatomic gas?

A diatomic gas is a gas composed of two atoms in its molecule, such as oxygen or nitrogen. These gases are more complex than monoatomic gases and have different properties due to the interaction between the two atoms.

4. What is a polyatomic gas?

A polyatomic gas is a gas composed of three or more atoms in its molecule, such as carbon dioxide or water vapor. These gases are even more complex and have more diverse properties due to the interactions between multiple atoms.

5. How do graphs help explain adiabatic expansion of gases?

Graphs are useful in visualizing and understanding the behavior of gases during adiabatic expansion. By plotting variables such as pressure, volume, and temperature, we can see how these properties change as the gas expands. This can help us understand the relationship between these variables and how they are affected by adiabatic expansion.