Experimental tests on the reality of the quantum state

In summary: This is a no-go theorem - if the state is only informational then it contradicts the predictions of QM.
bohm2
Does this mean that we will one day have an answer to the old age question on the ontology of the wave function:
I show that techniques from convex optimisation theory can be leveraged to numerically search for these sets, which then form a recipe for experiments that allow for the strongest statements about the ontology of the wavefunction to be made.
Towards optimal experimental tests on the reality of the quantum state
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/aa54ab

Physics news on Phys.org
bohm2 said:
Does this mean that we will one day have an answer to the old age question on the ontology of the wave function:

Towards optimal experimental tests on the reality of the quantum state
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/aa54ab
I suppose ontology is in the mind of the beholder. I was pretty convinced by the Bell Inequality experiments.
I don't doubt the value of this research, but I suspect that anyone who was uncertain before will be no more certain now.

We have interpretations where the state is like Bayesian probabilities and they imply the formalism of QM. The logic is dead simple (its just how you interpret the Born rule eg you can interpret it as Bayesian probabilities) so it's impossible, utterly impossible to show the wave-function is 'real'. If someone announces a proof of 1=0 I don't have to read it to know they divided by 0 somewhere. Same here - there is no way, its impossible, utterly impossible to discover the ontological status of the Quantum state unless QM is modified in some way AND that modification is experimentally proven.

All this was pointed out in the famous PBR Theroem:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/1111.3328v3
Here we present a no-go theorem: if the quantum state merely represents information about the real physical state of a system, then experimental predictions are obtained which contradict those of quantum theory. The argument depends on few assumptions. One is that a system has a “real physical state” – not necessarily completely described by quantum theory, but objective and independent of the observer. This assumption only needs to hold for systems that are isolated, and not entangled with other systems. Nonetheless, this assumption, or some part of it, would be denied by instrumentalist approaches to quantum theory, wherein the quantum state is merely a calculational tool for making predictions concerning macroscopic measurement outcomes. The other main assumption is that systems that are prepared independently have independent physical states.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
I read a bit of the paper.

He is proposing a modification of QM (specifically a hidden variable type model) that leads to the state being real. Its not QM proper - but an extension. Yes if that extension is proven then we can say its real.

In other words he is proposing a model where its real and asking if experiment can confirm it.

Of course that kind of 'process' can prove its real. But its hardly a surprising idea.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Zafa Pi
bhobba said:
Of course that kind of 'process' can prove its real. But its hardly a surprising idea.
If my reading of the OP article and PBR are correct, then it seems your observation is right on.

It comes to this: We can prove (using QM) the usual quantum state (of, say, a photon) is ontic (real) if we get to assume that photons have some ontic state (hidden variables) plus the independence condition.

Related to Experimental tests on the reality of the quantum state

1. What is the quantum state and why is it important to study?

The quantum state is a mathematical representation of the physical properties and behavior of a quantum system. It is important to study because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, which has significant implications for various fields such as physics, chemistry, and technology.

2. Can the quantum state be directly observed or measured?

No, the quantum state itself cannot be directly observed or measured. Instead, scientists use experimental tests and mathematical models to infer the state of a quantum system based on its observable properties and behavior.

3. How do scientists conduct experimental tests on the reality of the quantum state?

There are various experimental techniques used to test the reality of the quantum state, such as quantum interference, entanglement, and quantum tomography. These experiments involve manipulating and measuring the properties of quantum particles to gather evidence for the existence and properties of the quantum state.

4. What have experimental tests revealed about the reality of the quantum state?

Experimental tests have revealed that the quantum state is a fundamental aspect of the physical world and that the behavior of particles at the subatomic level is probabilistic rather than deterministic. They have also provided evidence for the principles of superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty that govern the behavior of quantum systems.

5. How do the findings from experimental tests impact our understanding of reality?

The findings from experimental tests on the reality of the quantum state challenge our classical understanding of reality and have led to the development of new theories and technologies. They have also raised philosophical questions about the nature of reality and the role of observation and measurement in shaping it.