Experimental realization of Stern-Gerlach SGy filter

In summary, Sakurai's treatment of the SG experiment by analogy with polarized light involves creating a magnetic field gradient along the beam direction using a normal SG magnet pair. This will interact with the atoms and cause the two \left|S_{y};\pm\right\rangle components of the beam to be retarded and accelerated along the beam direction. This behavior can be observed with a pulsed beam or by measuring differential transit times for single atoms. It is possible for oblique incidence to aid in the observation of this behavior and the force on the beam depends on the magnetic moment direction. However, the magnetic field used in the experiment can also turn the dipoles and cause a spin state change.
SpectraCat
Science Advisor
I have been reviewing Sakurai's treatment of the SG experiment by analogy with polarized light, and I realized that I am not sure that I really understand how to construct in a laboratory the [tex]SG_{y}[/tex] filter to produce and separate the [tex]\left|S_{y};\pm\right\rangle[/tex] states that are analogous to right and left circularly polarized light.

Taking Sakurai's definitions of the lab frame axes (which I believe are standard), the z and x directions are perpendicular to the direction of the beam of atoms, which must therefore define the y-axis in the lab frame. I can imagine creating a magnetic field gradient along the beam direction that will interact with the atoms by drilling holes through the poles of a normal SG magnet pair. What I am unclear on is what precisely happens when a previously prepared beam of atoms in the [tex]\left|S_{z};+\right\rangle[/tex] state is passed through this filter. I guess that the two [tex]\left|S_{y};\pm\right\rangle[/tex] components of the beam are retarded and accelerated along the beam direction? This would be tricky to observe with a continuous beam, but one could imagine using a pulsed beam, or measuring differential transit times for single atoms to observe this behavior.

So, does anyone know of a reference that describes this experiment (I assume it has been conducted in some form)? Or have I made a mistake somewhere in my predictions of what would happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
SpectraCat said:
I guess that the two [tex]\left|S_{y};\pm\right\rangle[/tex] components of the beam are retarded and accelerated along the beam direction?

It looks like different refraction coefficients. So oblique incidence could help.

Let's consider a particle with magnetic moment

[tex]
\mathbf{m} = (0, m_y, 0),
[/tex]

which is in nonhomogeneous magnetic field

[tex]
\mathbf{H} = (H_0(x+y), H_0(x+y), 0).
[/tex]

Then the force will be

[tex]
\matbf{F} = (\mathbf{m} \nabla)\matbf{H} = m_y\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\matbf{H} =
H_0 m_y(1, 1, 0).
[/tex]

The beam deviation along the x-axis depends on magnetic moment direction. :biggrin:

But such magnetic field will also turn the dipoles. In quantum mechanics it's equivalent to a perturbation which can stimulate a spin state change. :rolleyes:

I am happy to provide a response to your inquiry about the experimental realization of the Stern-Gerlach SGy filter.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the Stern-Gerlach experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the concept of spin and its quantization. In this experiment, a beam of particles with a specific spin is passed through a magnetic field gradient, which causes the particles to be deflected in different directions depending on their spin state.

To construct a SGy filter in a laboratory, one would need to create a magnetic field gradient along the direction of the beam of atoms. This can be achieved by using a pair of magnets with a gap in between, as you have correctly mentioned. The direction of the magnetic field gradient would determine the direction of the y-axis in the lab frame.

When a beam of atoms in the \left|S_{z};+\right\rangle state is passed through this filter, the atoms will experience a force in the y-direction, depending on their spin state. This is because the magnetic field gradient will interact with the magnetic moment of the atoms, which is proportional to their spin.

In this case, the \left|S_{z};+\right\rangle state will experience a force in the positive y-direction, while the \left|S_{z};-\right\rangle state will experience a force in the negative y-direction. This will result in the separation of the two spin states, with the \left|S_{z};+\right\rangle state being deflected upwards and the \left|S_{z};-\right\rangle state being deflected downwards.

To observe this behavior, one could use a pulsed beam of atoms or measure the differential transit times for single atoms, as you have suggested. This experiment has indeed been conducted in various forms, and there are several references that describe it in detail.

I would recommend looking into the original Stern-Gerlach experiment and its variations, as well as the work of other scientists who have conducted similar experiments. This will provide you with a better understanding of the construction and operation of the SGy filter in a laboratory setting.

In conclusion, the SGy filter is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics that allows us to separate spin states of particles. Its experimental realization has been extensively studied and documented, and I am confident that with further research, you will be able to gain a deeper understanding of its construction and operation.

Related to Experimental realization of Stern-Gerlach SGy filter

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach SGy filter?

The Stern-Gerlach SGy filter is a device used in experimental physics to measure and manipulate the spin of particles, such as electrons and protons. It works by passing a beam of particles through a strong magnetic field, causing the particles to deflect either up or down depending on their spin orientation.

2. How does the Stern-Gerlach SGy filter work?

The Stern-Gerlach SGy filter works by utilizing the principle of quantum mechanics that states particles with spin have two possible orientations, either up or down. When a beam of particles with varying spin orientations is passed through the magnetic field of the SGy filter, the particles will be deflected either up or down, allowing for the separation and measurement of their spin.

3. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach SGy filter in experimental physics?

The Stern-Gerlach SGy filter is significant because it was one of the first experiments to provide evidence for the quantization of spin in particles. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, providing a way to measure and manipulate spin in particles, which is important in many areas of physics such as particle physics and quantum computing.

4. Can the Stern-Gerlach SGy filter be used for other types of particles besides electrons and protons?

Yes, the Stern-Gerlach SGy filter can be used for any type of particle that has spin, such as neutrons and atoms. However, the strength of the magnetic field and the design of the filter may need to be adjusted to accommodate different types of particles.

5. What are some potential applications of the Stern-Gerlach SGy filter?

The Stern-Gerlach SGy filter has a wide range of applications in experimental physics, such as studying the spin properties of particles, creating polarized beams for particle accelerators, and producing entangled states for quantum computing. It can also be used in medical imaging, material science, and other fields that require precise control and measurement of spin in particles.