Experimental Procedure for Calculating Ksp of PbCl2 at Lab Temperature

• Thread starter humaders99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ksp
In summary, an experimental procedure to determine Ksp of PbCl2 at lab temperature would involve adding NaCl to a solution of a soluble lead salt, such as PbOAc, until a precipitate forms. The concentrations of Cl- and Pb+2 in the solution would need to be accurately determined at each concentration of added Cl-. This can be done using gravimetric methods or more sophisticated methods such as ICP/MS or ICP. It may also be possible to start with pure PbCl2, saturate water, and then measure the weight of the residue to determine the Ksp.
humaders99
What would be an experimental procedure to determine Ksp of PbCl2 at lab temp, I think 22-25 degrees (the reaction being PbCl2 (s) ---> Pb + 2 CL). I am thinking that you'd take random amounts of Pb and Cl and wait for it to reach equilibrium and then somehow figure out how much of each chemical there is and then solve for Ksp (using concentrations of course)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the thing with my little procedure is that it doesn't seem right, it seems like I am missing something important, or what i think the procedure should be doesn't make any sense :S

I guess you could take Pb(OAc)2 soln and add HCl to slowly and see how many drops you need to get a ppt.

humaders99 said:
the thing with my little procedure is that it doesn't seem right, it seems like I am missing something important, or what i think the procedure should be doesn't make any sense :S

Adding chloride as a neutral salt is more correct since some sparingly soluble chlorides are more soluble in acidic solution. Try an experiment that has you adding NaCl to a solution of a soluble lead salt (PbOAc has been mentioned) a little at a time until a ppt forms. You will need to accurately determine the Cl- and Pb+2 of the solution at the various concentrations of added Cl-. There are gravimetric methods and more sophisticated methods for this such as ICP/MS or ICP. The concentration of these two species should be plotted and their product determined (Ksp) at each concentration.

IIRC PbCl2 solubility is high enough to do the expreiment other way around - start with pure PbCl2, let it saturate water, then take known volume of the water, dry it and weight the residue.

Related to Experimental Procedure for Calculating Ksp of PbCl2 at Lab Temperature

1. What is the formula for calculating Ksp of PbCl2?

The formula for calculating the solubility product constant (Ksp) of PbCl2 is Ksp = [Pb2+][Cl-]^2, where [Pb2+] is the molar concentration of lead ions and [Cl-] is the molar concentration of chloride ions.

2. How do you determine the molar concentration of Pb2+ and Cl- ions?

The molar concentration of Pb2+ and Cl- ions can be determined by dividing the number of moles of each ion by the total volume of the solution. This can be calculated using the formula: concentration (M) = moles (mol) / volume (L).

3. What is the significance of Ksp in the dissolution of PbCl2?

Ksp is a measure of the extent to which a compound (in this case, PbCl2) will dissociate into its ions in a solution. A higher Ksp value indicates a higher solubility of the compound, while a lower Ksp value indicates a lower solubility.

4. Can Ksp be affected by temperature or pressure?

Yes, Ksp can be affected by changes in temperature or pressure. In general, an increase in temperature or pressure can increase the solubility of a compound, resulting in a higher Ksp value. However, this is not always the case and it depends on the specific compound in question.

5. How does the Ksp value of PbCl2 compare to other compounds?

The Ksp value of PbCl2 is relatively low compared to other compounds. This means that it has a lower solubility compared to other compounds and will not dissolve as easily in water. For example, the Ksp of sodium chloride (NaCl) is significantly higher, indicating a higher solubility in water.