Experiment for middle school with Uniform Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to present an experiment about Uniform Acceleration or parabolas for middle school children. The idea of using a catapult was suggested but deemed too complicated. The suggestion of using Galileo's Inclined Plane experiment was made and the need for a smooth surface was mentioned.
Alexi
1. I must present an experiment for middleschool children about Uniform Acceleration or paraboles to teach them how it works.

I've tried some stuff but maybe to complicated to fabricate or reproduce, for example, I wanted to do a catapult that made a small parabole and predict where it would fall or how high would it reach but the only catapult guides were overly complicated.

Help really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Alexi! Welcome to PF! :smile:

How about good ol' Galileo's Inclined Plane experiment?

(google it! :wink:)

Thanks! Let me talk to my partners about this but definitely a good idea.

But I guess the surface must be as smooth as it can be (in the inclined plane that proves that acceleration of gravity is the same but can be slowed down by the inclination).

Related to Experiment for middle school with Uniform Acceleration

1. What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when an object's velocity increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time. This means that the object is moving with a constant speed in a straight line.

2. How do you conduct an experiment for uniform acceleration in middle school?

To conduct an experiment for uniform acceleration in middle school, you can use a ramp and a toy car. Place the ramp at an angle and release the car from the top, measuring the time it takes for the car to reach the bottom. Repeat the experiment with different angles of the ramp and record the time taken each time. The results should show a constant increase in the time taken, demonstrating uniform acceleration.

3. What are the variables in an experiment for uniform acceleration?

The variables in an experiment for uniform acceleration are the independent variable, which is the angle of the ramp, and the dependent variable, which is the time taken for the car to reach the bottom. Other controlled variables include the surface of the ramp, the toy car used, and the starting position of the car.

4. What are some real-life examples of uniform acceleration?

Some real-life examples of uniform acceleration include a car moving at a constant speed on a straight road, a rollercoaster moving along a track, and a skydiver falling towards the ground with a constant velocity.

5. Why is it important to understand uniform acceleration in middle school?

Understanding uniform acceleration in middle school lays the foundation for understanding more complex concepts in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion. It also helps students to understand the motion of objects in their daily lives and how forces can affect this motion.