A question about work/rotational Ke

• Thread starter JamesL
  • Start date
In summary: Since the moment of inertia is constant, this equation reduces to: -I(dw/dt)=I(dw/dt-w), where dw is the change in momentum. Since the change in momentum is equal to the torque applied, this equation can be solved for the instantaneous torque T provided by the frictional forces: T=F(w), where w is the rotational speed.
JamesL
Here is the question that's been giving me trouble:

A electric motor can accelerate a ferris wheel of moment of inertia I = 25300 kgm^2 from rest to 11.9 rev/min in 11.5 s. when the motor is turned off, friction causes the wheel to slow down from 11.9 rev/min to 6.33 rev/min in 7.53 s.

Determine the torque generated by the motor to bring the wheel to 11.9 rev/min.

Determine the power needed to maintain a rotational speed of 11.9 rev/min.

-------------------------------------

The 2nd part seems fairly straight forward. When i find the torque i use
Power = (torque)(rotational speed).

The rotational speed = 11.9 rev/min = .198333 rev/sec = 1.24617 rad/sec.

So the power should be easy to find.

I assume i can find the change in kinetic energy (and therefore the work) by using the following equation:

The final rotating speed = 6.33 rev/min = .662876 rad/sec

change in K = W = .5(25300)(.662876^2) - .5(25300)(1.24617^2)
= -14086.2 J

Im not sure, however, how to find the torque after this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking about using Work = (torque)(rotational speed) to find the torque required for the first part of the problem.

I guess i didnt calculate the work/change in k correctly above, as i tried using this approach but got the problem incorrect.'

Still puzzled as to what I am doing wrong...

The problem of using an energy argument in this problem, is that the work done by the frictional torque during the slow-down phase is not the same as the work done by the frictional torque during the acceleration phase. While you readily can find the net work done by the friction during the slow-down, I don't think this would help you at all..
What you first of all need to solve the problem, is the instantenaeous torque provided by the frictional forces, not the time-integrated power of that torque (i.e the work done).
The frictional torque F typically depends on the rotational speed, i.e. F=F(w), where w is the rot. speed at a given time t. For low speeds, it is reasonable to assume F=-Aw, where A is constant.
The moment-of-momentum equation in the slow-down phase then reads:
-Aw=I(dw/dt), where I is the moment of inertia.

What is work/rotational kinetic energy?

Work/rotational kinetic energy is a type of energy associated with rotational motion. It is defined as the energy an object has due to its rotation around an axis.

How is work/rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for work/rotational kinetic energy is K = (1/2)Iω², where K is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between work and rotational kinetic energy?

Work and rotational kinetic energy are related, but they are two different types of energy. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its rotation around an axis.

What is the unit for work/rotational kinetic energy?

The unit for work/rotational kinetic energy is joules (J). This is the same unit as other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy.

How is work/rotational kinetic energy related to angular momentum?

Work/rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum are closely related. The change in rotational kinetic energy is equal to the work done on the object, and this change is also equal to the change in angular momentum. This relationship is described by the law of conservation of angular momentum.