Sex-offending Priest killed in prison.

• Thread starter BiologyForums
  • Start date
In summary, former priest John Geoghan was killed in prison by another inmate, who was reportedly plotting the murder for weeks. The inmate was in prison for murdering a homosexual and this incident raises questions about the prison staff's negligence. Some argue that the inmate's initial sentence was not enough and suggest castration as a possible legal punishment for pedophiles. However, others warn against resorting to vigilante justice and the potential harm it can cause to innocent individuals.
BiologyForums
Breaking News www.cnn.com

John Geoghan, former priest at the center of Boston archdiocese's sex abuse scandal, killed in prison, according to officials. Details soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
/cheers

If you can rehabilitate, decapitate

Now they are saying the guy who killed him was in prison for murdering a homosexual, and this guy had been plotting the ex priest's murder for weeks. Sounds to me like a major flub on the part of the prison staff.

Two wrongs don't make a right

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Now they are saying the guy who killed him was in prison for murdering a homosexual, and this guy had been plotting the ex priest's murder for weeks. Sounds to me like a major flub on the part of the prison staff.

That or it wasn't accidental. The guards may have been looking the other way- wouldn't be the first time in the history of prisons.

As for two wrongs and a right, maybe this is true, but one could also argue that the sentence he initially received wasn't enough. Castration would be the only true equalibrium. You steal, they cut off your hand- you're a pedophile, and well..Let's just say he shouldn't be picking up the extra-value economy size box of condoms- better to stick with the 3 pack:wink:

Resorting to vigilante justice whenever you don't like a verdict isn't quite the message we want to be sending to people...

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Resorting to vigilante justice whenever you don't like a verdict isn't quite the message we want to be sending to people...

Oh I wasn't suggesting vigilante justice, I was suggestion a legal punishment for a criminal act

Originally posted by Zantra
Oh I wasn't suggesting vigilante justice, I was suggestion a legal punishment for a criminal act
That is not a legal punishement. In fact it's illegal to inflict punishment that way.

This kind of thing pisses me off. I hate it when prisoners inflict harm on others. That's just more crime.

It's not uncommon for inoccent people to get sent to prison. It happens more than we'd like to believe. And in such cases you have totally inoccent people being hurt, raped or killed.

Pmb

I was suggestion a legal punishment for a criminal act

I understood that for him to be suggesting that it is made a legal punishment.

Originally posted by pmb
That is not a legal punishement. In fact it's illegal to inflict punishment that way.

This kind of thing pisses me off. I hate it when prisoners inflict harm on others. That's just more crime.

It's not uncommon for inoccent people to get sent to prison. It happens more than we'd like to believe. And in such cases you have totally inoccent people being hurt, raped or killed.

Pmb

Oh it could be done in a non painful way- simple operation to make him a enuch. I'm not saying get a mob and go whack it off with a rusty knife. I'm talking about federally mandated punishment. The punishment should fit the crime

What is the reason behind the death of the sex-offending priest in prison?

The exact cause of death is still under investigation, but initial reports suggest that the priest was killed by another inmate in the prison.

Why was the priest in prison in the first place?

The priest was convicted of sexual abuse and sentenced to prison. He had a history of sexually abusing children under his care.

Was the priest receiving any sort of protection or monitoring in prison?

It is unclear if the priest was receiving any special protection or monitoring in prison. However, prison officials have a duty to ensure the safety of all inmates, regardless of their crimes.

What measures are in place to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future?

Prisons have protocols and procedures in place to prevent violence and protect inmates. However, this incident highlights the need for further review and improvement of these measures.

Are there any studies or research on the prevalence of violence against sex-offending inmates in prison?

Yes, there have been numerous studies done on the prevalence of violence against sex-offending inmates in prison. These studies have shown that sex offenders are more likely to be targeted for violence by other inmates.