Tamara Davis thesis Expansion and Cosmic Horizons

In summary, Tamara Davis's thesis, "Fundamental Aspects of the Expansion of the Universe and Cosmic Horizons" was recently posted on arXiv with her thesis advisor, Charles Lineweaver. The paper is accessible and clear, and addresses the issue of misconceptions about the expansion of space. The conversation also includes some humorous commentary on the paper and a reference to another relevant quote by Isaac Newton. Overall, the paper is expected to be useful to a wide audience.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Tamara Davis thesis "...Expansion...and Cosmic Horizons"

http://arxiv.org/astro-ph/0402278

Tamara Davis thesis
"Fundamental Aspects of the Expansion of the Universe and Cosmic Horizons"

just posted
Charles Lineweaver was her thesis advisor.
it is pretty clear and accessible as PhD dissertations go

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's a good article. I've often wondered about this very same problem, that of the misconceptions in modern literature about the expansion of space.

For sheer dark humor
that is the funniest sig I have seen for a long time

I believe what one says in these situations is LOL

However someone else at this board had a very good sig
recently which was an original adaptation of the famous
saying of Isaac Newton about why he believed he had seen
further than the rest of us. I will get it and be back.

Yeah, the Tammy Davis paper is pretty good. It will be useful
to a lot of people (not just for getting her her PhD)

this other sig I was remembering is by someone named holly

"__________________
If I have seen less than others, it's because some giant's shoulders are always in the way.

"

1. What is Tamara Davis' thesis about?

Tamara Davis' thesis focuses on the expansion of the universe and cosmic horizons.

2. How does Davis approach the topic of expansion in her thesis?

Davis uses observational data and mathematical models to study the expansion rate of the universe and how it has changed over time.

3. What is the significance of cosmic horizons in Davis' thesis?

Cosmic horizons are the boundaries of what we can observe in the universe. Davis explores how the expansion of the universe affects our understanding of these boundaries.

4. What are some key findings from Davis' thesis?

Davis' thesis highlights the importance of dark energy in the expansion of the universe and provides evidence for an accelerating expansion rate. She also discusses the implications of this expansion for the future of the universe.

5. How does Davis' thesis contribute to the field of cosmology?

Davis' thesis adds to our understanding of the expansion of the universe and provides valuable insights into the role of dark energy. It also raises important questions about the future of the universe and the limitations of our current understanding of cosmic horizons.