When did we first realize that more than four dimensions may exist?

In summary, the history of our interpretation of dimensions dates back to 1919 when Kaluza-Klein theory proposed the existence of 5 dimensions, 4 of space and one of time. In 1978, 11-dimensional supergravity was discovered followed by the discovery of Type I Superstring theory using 10 dimensions in 1980. However, in 1914, Nordstrom attempted to unify scalar gravity and electromagnetism with a theory of 5 dimensions.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was reviewing the history of String Theory, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the history of our interpretation of dimensions. When did we first realize that more than four dimensions may exist, and when did we first land on the head count of 10 or 11 as the correct number? I couldn't find the year that these hypotheses were first suggested.

Physics news on Phys.org
When did we first realize that more than four dimensions may exist ?
The first theory that proposed more than 4 dimensions I think that is Kaluza-Klein theory, discovered by Kaluza in 1919, and published by him in 1921.It has 5 dimensions, 4 of space and one of time. Then Einstein spent 30 years trying to unify electromagnetism and gravity with this theory, without success
and when did we first land on the head count of 10 or 11 as the correct number?
11-dimensional supergravity was discovered in 1978 by Cremmer, Julia and Scherk.
The first string-related theory using 10 dimensions was Type I Superstring theory, discovered by Schwarz and Green in 1980. They used the Green-Schwarz mechanism to achieve anomaly cancellation

Last edited:
This recent paper,
"The many dimensions of Dimension"
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0402105
says that in 1914, Nordstrom tried to unify scalar gravity and electromagnetism in a theory with 5 dimensions

Here's a biography of Gunnar Nordstrom
http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~tfo_www/nordstrom/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of dimensions?

The concept of dimensions refers to the measurement of space in terms of length, width, and height. It is often described as the extent or magnitude of an object or space.

2. How many dimensions are there?

According to traditional scientific theories, there are three dimensions: length, width, and height. However, some theories suggest the existence of additional dimensions, such as time or multiple spatial dimensions.

3. How did the study of dimensions develop throughout history?

The study of dimensions has evolved over time, beginning with ancient civilizations' understanding of the physical world and progressing through scientific discoveries and theories. Early philosophers, such as Plato, proposed the existence of a higher dimension beyond the physical world. In the 17th century, Sir Isaac Newton introduced the concept of three-dimensional space in his laws of motion. In the 20th century, Albert Einstein's theory of relativity introduced the concept of a fourth dimension: time.

4. What is the current understanding of dimensions in modern physics?

In modern physics, dimensions are viewed as the fundamental building blocks of the universe. The most widely accepted theory, the Standard Model of particle physics, describes the universe as having eleven dimensions, with four being observable and the rest being compactified or curled up. However, this model is still being studied, and there is ongoing research on the nature and number of dimensions.

5. How do dimensions relate to theories of the universe, such as the Big Bang and string theory?

The Big Bang theory posits that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density, and then expanded into the three dimensions we observe today. String theory, on the other hand, suggests that the universe is made up of tiny, vibrating strings in multiple dimensions. The study of dimensions plays a crucial role in understanding these theories and their implications for the origin and structure of the universe.