Expected Sequences in a Random Events

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the expected number of heads when tossing a fair coin 8 times. The two methods mentioned are the basic method of using the definition of expected value and the shorter method of fitting the question to a special type of distribution. There is also a clarification about the specific question of interest, which is either the expected number of heads or the expected length of a sequence of consecutive heads.
AliDimayev
How many heads in a row would you expect to find if you toss a fair coin 8 times?

I am thinking that the probability of 3 heads is 1/8 and since you have 8 tosses, that would give an E(x) of 1. So I am guessing that 3 is the number of heads one would expect to see in a fair coin is tossed 8 times. But I am not sure... Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do this in two ways, the basic method and the shorter method.

The basic way is to use the definition of E(X)= ∑all x x*P(X=x)

Write out in a tabular form, the distribution

x
P(X=x)

x is the number heads obtained, so x goes from 0 to 8.

The other way is to see if the question can be fitted to a special type distribution.

I need some clarification: which question is of interest:

1) How many heads would you expect to occur during 8 flips of a fair coin?

2) If a fair coin is flipped 8 times, how long a sequence of consecutive heads would you expect to occur? (I phrased this from your wording "How many heads in a row...")

These questions are not the same.

Related to Expected Sequences in a Random Events

What is the definition of expected sequences in random events?

Expected sequences in random events refer to the patterns or outcomes that are predicted to occur in a series of random events based on probability or statistical analysis.

How are expected sequences calculated in random events?

Expected sequences are calculated by determining the probability of each outcome and multiplying it by the total number of events. For example, if a fair coin is flipped 10 times, the expected sequence would be 5 heads and 5 tails.

Why are expected sequences important in scientific research?

Expected sequences are important in scientific research because they provide a baseline for comparison and help to identify any patterns or anomalies in the data. They also allow scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses.

What is the difference between expected and actual sequences in random events?

The expected sequence is what is predicted to occur based on probability, while the actual sequence is what actually happens in the series of random events. In some cases, the actual sequence may match the expected sequence, but it can also deviate from it due to chance or other factors.

Can expected sequences be affected by external factors?

Yes, expected sequences can be affected by external factors such as bias, human error, or environmental conditions. These factors can influence the probability of certain outcomes and impact the expected sequence in a series of random events.