I don't think Telepathy could possibly be electromagnetic in nature

In summary: I don't know... magnetoreception.In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of telepathy and whether it could be achieved through electromagnetic phenomena. It was mentioned that the human body's electric/magnetic fields are negligible and that people are not sensitive to these fields. Some evidence for telepathy was brought up, such as research on mirror neurons and claims of electromagnetic communication at low levels. The discussion also touched on the brain's ability to sense electromagnetic radiation through the eyes and the possibility of other structures in the brain that could decode random forms of radiation.
KillaMarcilla
So, telepathy, eh?

If people can send their thoughts to each other, I don't think it could be through any sort of electromagnetic phenomena.

Since any electric/magnetic fields people's bodies have around them are negligible, if they exist at all.. I say that because if you've grounded yourself so you don't have any electric charges on your skin or hair or clothing, you can do experiments in an electromagnetics class and not have to worry about messing up your data by being near the equipment (whereas being within two or three feet of an iron table/stool/object will completely ruin any magnetic field data, and electric fields you get even from just rubbing a plastic rod with a fur for a second are highly measurable)

Also, people aren't sensitive to electric or magnetic fields. If the hair on your arms gets attracted to a TV screen you just turned on, you can feel an electric field, but if you turn your hairless palm toward the screen, you suddenly don't feel anything at all. Also, at no point in any physics lab could I feel any magnetic or electric fields, no matter how large they were. I also can't feel anything from radio towers even right next to them..

Has anyone ever turned up any sort of proof of telepathy, even correlational stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
Research "mirror neurones".

If you look at the other thread posted about Remote Viewing, I suggest the psychic assisted police investigations for supportable evidence of telepathy. Whether any of this qualifies strictly as scientific evidence I am not sure…it seems that some cases could. But, regarding your idea of EM for ESP, there are a couple of things worth mentioning…maybe. In the OS forum, I posted a question about “Schumann Resonance and EEGs”. The response by Lurch includes a link to a related paper. In this paper we see that EM fields with far less electric field strength than the electric field in a brain cell can still have an effect on humans.

Also, techniques exist that allow the communication of information [via radio waves] at levels well below the noise level. Given this, it seems to me that some EM mediated mode of information transfer to a brain could be possible. Some people claim that this has been done. Even if only the induced sound of simple clicks using microwaves, this would be significant. Many much more exotic claims are also found. [a lot of stuff is coming out of Russia now from the old KGB files, but the Russian press – Pravda – has become the National Enquirer of the ex-soviet; so who knows what’s true and what’s not.] I have no idea if any of these claims could be true. But as far as your primary objection, the energies involved would seem to be much too low for any possibility of brain generated transmissions of this sort.

Many people who think a lot about this sort of thing look to quantum effects such as Einstein’s “spooky action at a distance”, for potential mechanisms for brain to brain information transfer. I know that the author Fred Alan Wolf and friends address these sorts of questions. In my opinion these discussions must be taken lightly - food for thought so to speak.

Another goodie from Lurch:
http://home.earthlink.net/~electrikmonk/Neuro/artAlien.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
New Scientist magazine, number 2287, 21st of April 2001. An article starting at page 25 has an interesting look at how evidence supports the idea that religious experience is basically a type of hallucination and affects some types of brains more than others, ro some not at all. There is quite a lot of research going on here, people trying to nail down precisely why people still believe religions. And yes, it's merely a matter of brain-mechanics. At the end of the article they list these for further reading:

"Why God Won't Go Away" by Andrew Newberg, Eugene d'Aqili, and Vince Rause. Ballantine Books, 2001.

"The Neural Substrates Of Religious Experience", by Jeffrey Saver and John Rabin, printed in The Journal Of Neuropsychiatry, volume 9, page 498 (1997).

"Experimental Induction Of The 'Sensed Presence' In Normal Subjects And An Exceptional Subject", by C. M. Cook and Michael Persinger, Perceptual And Motor Skills, volume 85, page 683 (1997).

http://www.google.com.au/search?q="mirror+neurones"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q="mirror+neurons"&meta=

And finally: We already know the human brain senses electromagnetic radiation, through some funky little things we call "eyes". Given that evidence of such interaction, it does not seem improbable that we can sense EM radiation in other ways as well; perhaps there are mechanisms within the brain for such sensing, using portions of the spectrum which penetrate the skull.

Originally posted by Adam
And yes, it's merely a matter of brain-mechanics.
Now now. Science has nothing to say about God. I can fall. I can dream of falling. I can be made to think I am falling. The second and last options do not exclude the first.
[B}And finally: We already know the human brain senses electromagnetic radiation, through some funky little things we call "eyes". Given that evidence of such interaction, it does not seem improbable that we can sense EM radiation in other ways as well; perhaps there are mechanisms within the brain for such sensing, using portions of the spectrum which penetrate the skull. [/B]
Good point!

Yeah, the "eyes" point is indeed quite good

From my psychology class, I gathered that our understanding of the exact way the brain is partitioned into different functionalities is still hazy enough that there might be structures that decode some sort of random forms of radiation..

Originally posted by KillaMarcilla
Yeah, the "eyes" point is indeed quite good

From my psychology class, I gathered that our understanding of the exact way the brain is partitioned into different functionalities is still hazy enough that there might be structures that decode some sort of random forms of radiation..

Note that this idea is played out in Spielberg's "TAKEN". Didn't you know, that's how the hybrid human-aliens communicate with the mother ship. For crying out loud do I have to tell you everyting?

1. What is Telepathy?

Telepathy is a hypothetical phenomenon that refers to the direct communication of thoughts or ideas between individuals without using any of the known sensory channels or physical communication methods.

2. Why do some people believe that Telepathy could be electromagnetic in nature?

Some people believe that Telepathy could be electromagnetic in nature because certain areas of the brain, specifically the temporal and parietal lobes, have been found to be active during telepathic experiences. These areas are also known to be involved in electromagnetic activities such as generating and receiving electrical signals.

3. How does electromagnetic activity relate to Telepathy?

Electromagnetic activity in the brain is thought to play a role in facilitating the transfer of thoughts and ideas between individuals in telepathy. It is believed that the electrical signals generated in the brain during telepathic experiences may somehow interact with the electromagnetic fields of other individuals, allowing for the transmission of information.

4. What evidence suggests that Telepathy is not electromagnetic in nature?

There is currently no scientific evidence that supports the idea that Telepathy is electromagnetic in nature. Studies have not been able to replicate telepathic experiences under controlled conditions, and there is no established mechanism by which electromagnetic fields could facilitate communication between individuals.

5. What other explanations are there for Telepathy?

There are various theories and hypotheses about the potential mechanisms behind Telepathy, including quantum entanglement, non-local consciousness, and intuitive communication. However, none of these theories have been scientifically proven, and the concept of Telepathy remains a subject of debate and speculation in the scientific community.