Expectation values with annihilation/creation operators

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of <i(\hat{a} - \hat{a^{t}})>, which equals 2i(\alpha e^{i\phi})^{-1}. The significance of this expectation value is not fully understood and further clarification is needed.
QuarksAbove

Homework Statement

Calculate [itex]<i(\hat{a} - \hat{a^{t}})>[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]|\psi > = e^{-\alpha ^{2}/2} \sum \frac{(\alpha e^{i\phi })^n}{\sqrt{n!}} |n>[/itex]

[itex] \hat{a}|n> = \sqrt{n}|n-1>[/itex]

I derived:
[itex] \hat{a}|\psi> = (\alpha e^{i\phi})^{-1}|\psi>[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]<i(\hat{a} - \hat{a^{t}})> = <\psi|i\hat{a}-i\hat{a^{t}}|\psi>
[/itex]

[itex]
<\psi|i\hat{a}-i\hat{a^{t}}|\psi> = <\psi|i\hat{a}|\psi> - <\psi|i\hat{a^{t}}|\psi>
[/itex]

[itex]
<\psi|i\hat{a}|\psi> - <\psi|i\hat{a^{t}}|\psi> = <\psi|i\hat{a}|\psi> - <-i\hat{a}\psi|\psi>
[/itex]

[itex]
i(\alpha e^{i\phi})^{-1}<\psi|\psi> + i(\alpha e^{i\phi})^{-1}<\psi|\psi>
[/itex]

assuming [itex] \psi [/itex] is normalized,

[itex]
<\psi|\psi> = 1
[/itex]

[itex]
<i(\hat{a} - \hat{a^{t}})> = 2i(\alpha e^{i\phi})^{-1}
[/itex]

Now, I think I did this correctly.. What I don't understand is the significance of
[itex]
<i(\hat{a} - \hat{a^{t}})>
[/itex]

Normally with expectation values, you can usually tell if your result is at least reasonable.. I don't understand what this expectation value is telling me, so I can't tell if my result is reasonable. =/

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would probably help to write ##\hat{a}, \hat{a}^\dagger## in terms of the position and momentum operators.

Related to Expectation values with annihilation/creation operators

What is an annihilation operator?

An annihilation operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the process of removing a particle from a quantum system. It is represented by the symbol "a" and is the Hermitian conjugate of the creation operator.

What is a creation operator?

A creation operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the process of adding a particle to a quantum system. It is represented by the symbol "a†" and is the Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator.

How are annihilation and creation operators related?

Annihilation and creation operators are related through the commutation relation [a, a†] = 1, meaning that they do not commute and are used to create or destroy particles in a quantum system.

What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is the average value of a physical quantity in a quantum system, calculated using the probability distribution of all possible values. It is represented by the symbol ⟨A⟩ and can be calculated using annihilation and creation operators.

How are expectation values calculated using annihilation and creation operators?

Expectation values can be calculated using the formula ⟨A⟩ = ⟨0|a†Aa|0⟩, where ⟨0| and |0⟩ represent the vacuum state of the system. This formula can be used to find the average value of any physical quantity represented by the operator A.