Expectation value of the angular momentum operator

In summary, the probability that the measurement of L^{2} will yield 2\hbar^{2} is dependent on the wavefunction and the measurement.
CanIExplore

Homework Statement

Hey forum,
I copied the problem from a pdf file and uploaded the image:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6345/problem4.png

What is the probability that the measurement of L[tex]^{2}[/tex] will yield 2\hbar[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\left\langle L^{2} \right\rangle[/tex] = [tex]\left\langle \Psi \left| L^{2} \right| \Psi \right\rangle[/tex]
[tex] L^{2} \Psi \right\rangle[/tex] = [tex] \hbar^{2}l(l+1) \Psi \right\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the problem I'm having is with part (b). I know how to calculate the expectation value of L[tex]^{2}[/tex]. But given a value of the expectation value, I have no idea how to calculate the probability that the expectation value will yield that given value.

Going back to the expectation value of x in a one dimensional potential, I remember that if I wanted to find the expectation value of the particle being outside, say a potential well located between the origin and x=a, my integral would be from a to infinity. but I don't see how to translate that to this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you have done part (a), can you write the given wavefunction as a linear combination of eigenstates of L2? If so, then the absolute value squared of the coefficient of the eigenstate corresponding to L2 = 2 hbar^2 is what you want.

I see. Thank you, that hint was very helpful. I also have a question for part (c).

The eigenvalue equation for L[tex]_{z}[/tex] is L[tex]_{z}[/tex][tex]\left|\right \Psi \rangle[/tex]=[tex]\hbar m \right \Psi \rangle[/tex]. The measurement of L[tex]_{z}[/tex] is only zero when m=0, but the given wavefunction is made of two eigenstates in which both have m=0. Does this mean that the measurement of L[tex]_{z}[/tex] will always give 0? If this is the case, doesn't this violate the uncertainty principle of the individual angular momentum operators Lx, Ly, and Lz? The uncertainty principle for the observables L[tex]_{x}[/tex] and L[tex]_{y}[/tex] is proportional to the expectation value of L[tex]_{z}[/tex]. If the expectation value of L[tex]_{z}[/tex] is zero, this would mean that there is no uncertainty in the measurement of Lx, Ly, or Lz. But this cannot be the case because we can't know the angular momenta in each direction simultaneously. Where exactly am I going wrong in my thought process?

The Uncertainty principle is not violated since the operators obey [[tex]L_{i}[/tex],[tex]L_{j}[/tex]] = i[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex][tex]L_{k}[/tex]

Last edited:
***redundant post, removed on edit ***

Related to Expectation value of the angular momentum operator

1. What is the expectation value of the angular momentum operator?

The expectation value of the angular momentum operator is the average value of the angular momentum of a quantum mechanical system, which is calculated using the wave function of the system. It represents the most probable value of the angular momentum that would be obtained if the angular momentum were to be measured many times.

2. How is the expectation value of the angular momentum operator calculated?

The expectation value of the angular momentum operator is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the angular momentum operator. This integral is also known as the angular momentum expectation value integral.

3. What does the expectation value of the angular momentum operator tell us about a quantum system?

The expectation value of the angular momentum operator provides information about the average angular momentum of a quantum system. It can help us understand the distribution of angular momentum values and the most probable value that would be obtained if the angular momentum were to be measured.

4. How does the expectation value of the angular momentum operator relate to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of the angular momentum operator is related to the uncertainty principle by the fact that it represents the most probable value of the angular momentum. This means that the actual value of the angular momentum may vary, and the uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the angular momentum, the less certain we are about its exact value.

5. Can the expectation value of the angular momentum operator be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of the angular momentum operator can be negative. This can occur when the wave function has both positive and negative components, resulting in a cancellation of angular momentum values. However, in most cases, the expectation value of the angular momentum operator is positive due to the properties of the wave function and the angular momentum operator.