Expectation value of a product of hermitian operators

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating expectation values for the hydrogenic atom using both symbolic and direct approaches. The problem arises when trying to calculate the values explicitly for the 1s wave function, as there is a discrepancy between the values obtained for ##\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle## and ##\langle \hat{V}\hat{H} \rangle##. After discussing various mathematical concepts and equations, it is determined that the issue is due to not taking into account the Laplace operator applied to 1/r, which results in a Delta function at the origin. Once this is accounted for, the values for ##\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle## and ##
DrClaude
Mentor
I'm trying to derive something which shouldn't be too complicated, but I get different results when doing things symbolically and with actual operators and wave functions. Some help would be appreciated.

For the hydrogenic atom, I need to calculate ##\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle## and ##\langle \hat{V}\hat{H} \rangle##, where ##\hat{H} = p^2/2m + \hat{V}## and ##\hat{V} = -Z\hbar^2/(m a_0 r)## for a state that is an eigenstate of ##\hat{H}##, ##\hat{H}|n\rangle = E_n |n\rangle##. Since both ##\hat{H}## and ##\hat{V}## are hermitian, it follows that
$$
\begin{align*}
\langle n | \hat{V}\hat{H} | n \rangle &= \langle n | \hat{V} E_n | n \rangle \\
&= E_n \langle n | \hat{V} | n \rangle = - E_n Ze^2 \langle n | \frac{1}{r} | n \rangle \\
\langle n | \hat{H}\hat{V} | n \rangle &= \left( \langle n | \hat{H} \right) \hat{V} | n \rangle \\
&= E_n \langle n | \hat{V} | n \rangle = - E_n \frac{Z\hbar^2}{m a_0} \langle n | \frac{1}{r} | n \rangle
\end{align*}
$$
from which I conclude that ##\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle = \langle \hat{V}\hat{H} \rangle = E_n \frac{Z\hbar^2}{m a_0} \langle 1/r \rangle##.

But when I try to calculate the expectations values explicitely on the 1s wave function,
$$
\psi_{1\mathrm{s}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}} \left( \frac{Z}{a_0} \right)^{3/2} e^{-Z r /a_0}
$$
I find that ##\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle = \frac{5}{2} \frac{\hbar^4 Z^4}{m^2 a_0^4}##, while ##\langle \hat{V}\hat{H} \rangle = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hbar^4 Z^4}{m^2 a_0^4}##. Since for hydrogenic atoms we have
$$
\left\langle \frac{1}{r} \right\rangle = \frac{1}{n^2} \frac{Z}{a_0}
$$
and
$$
E_n = - \frac{\hbar^2 Z^2}{2 m a_0^2} \frac{1}{n^2}
$$
I would expect ##E_n \frac{Z\hbar^2}{m a_0} \langle 1/r \rangle = \hbar^4 Z^4 / (2 m^2 a_0^2)##, which is the value I get for ##\langle \hat{V}\hat{H} \rangle##, but not ##\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle##.

By the way, I did the integrations with the actual wave function both by hand and with Mathematica, so I know there is no mistake there.

Can somewhat figure out what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let's think formally (up to functional analytical finesse). You get that formally <n|VH|n> - <n|HV|n> = 0 => <n|[V,H]|n> = 0 whatever n. But {|n>} form a subbasis in the space of solutions of the spectral equation for H as a whole (H=T+V) and are orthonormal one to another. One gets that [H,V] =0. But H = T-V and [V,V] = 0 (trivially). One gets that: [T,V] =0 which is nonsense, because T and V don't have the same domain.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Well, let's think formally (up to functional analytical finesse). You get that formally <n|VH|n> - <n|HV|n> = 0 => <n|[V,H]|n> = 0 whatever n. But {|n>} form a subbasis in the space of solutions of the spectral equation for H as a whole (H=T+V) and are orthonormal one to another. One gets that [H,V] =0. But H = T-V and [V,V] = 0 (trivially). One gets that: [T,V] =0 which is nonsense, because T and V don't have the same domain.
The problem now is that I have tested the symbolic approach with the harmonic oscillator (edit: I should have said that I compared the symbolic and direct approaches), and it works fine. I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong with what you wrote, and I wonder if the fact that <m|HV|n> is not necessarily 0 even if m≠n could affect your proof.

Did you take into account that the Laplace operator applied to 1/r gives rise to a Delta function at the origin?

Likes DrClaude and dextercioby
DrClaude said:
The problem now is that I have tested the symbolic approach with the harmonic oscillator (edit: I should have said that I compared the symbolic and direct approaches), and it works fine. [...]

What do you mean by what I bolded?

dextercioby said:
What do you mean by what I bolded?
Taking
$$
\begin{align*}
\hat{V} &= \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 \hat{x}^2 \\
\hat{H} &= -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} + \hat{V}
\end{align*}
$$
using the "symbolic" approach, I find
$$
\begin{align*}
\langle n | \hat{V}\hat{H} | n \rangle &= \langle n | \hat{V} E_n | n \rangle \\
&= E_n \langle n | \hat{V} | n \rangle = E_n \frac{m \omega^2}{2} \langle n | \hat{x}^2 | n \rangle \\
\langle n | \hat{H}\hat{V} | n \rangle &= \left( \langle n | \hat{H} \right) \hat{V} | n \rangle \\
&= E_n \langle n | \hat{V} | n \rangle = E_n \frac{m \omega^2}{2} \langle n | \hat{x}^2 | n \rangle
\end{align*}
$$
Using ##E_n = \left(n+\frac{1}{2} \right) \hbar \omega## and ##\langle \hat{x}^2 \rangle = \left(n+\frac{1}{2} \right) \frac{\hbar}{m \omega}##, I get
$$
\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle = \langle \hat{V}\hat{H} \rangle = \left(n+\frac{1}{2} \right)^2 \frac{\hbar^2 \omega^2}{2}
$$

I obtain the same if I calculate the actual integrals ##\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle## and ##\langle \hat{V}\hat{H} \rangle##.

DrDu said:
Did you take into account that the Laplace operator applied to 1/r gives rise to a Delta function at the origin?
No. I'll check my calculations again.

I'm sure you see a trick in the fact that HV is not selfadjoint. Then of course my argument above still applies, because, assuming HV is properly defined (and for Schwartz test functions is), then HV=/=VH, because it's more than obvious that T = H-V and V don't commute (because x and p don't commute). So are the formal maneuvers legal? I'll think about it.

DrDu said:
Yeah, that was it. Writing it as I did, I just didn't see the ##\nabla^2 (1/r)## in there. Being more careful, it makes a term go away, and I get that ##
\langle \hat{H}\hat{V} \rangle =
\langle \hat{V}\hat{H} \rangle## and all is fine. Thank you and Dexter for the help.

Related to Expectation value of a product of hermitian operators

1. What does the "expectation value of a product of hermitian operators" mean?

The expectation value of a product of hermitian operators refers to the average value that would be obtained if the product of two hermitian operators were measured multiple times on a quantum system. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

2. How is the expectation value of a product of hermitian operators calculated?

The calculation of the expectation value of a product of hermitian operators involves taking the inner product of the corresponding quantum states and then multiplying it by the product of the two operators. This value represents the average outcome of the measurement of the product of the two operators on the quantum system.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of a product of hermitian operators?

The expectation value of a product of hermitian operators is significant because it provides important information about the quantum system being studied. It can be used to determine the probability of obtaining a certain measurement outcome and it also helps to characterize the properties of the system.

4. Is the expectation value of a product of hermitian operators always a real number?

Yes, the expectation value of a product of hermitian operators is always a real number. This is because hermitian operators, by definition, have real eigenvalues and the expectation value is calculated by taking the inner product of two quantum states and multiplying it by a real number (the product of the hermitian operators).

5. Can the expectation value of a product of hermitian operators be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of a product of hermitian operators can be negative. This can occur when the two hermitian operators have opposite signs and the inner product of the quantum states is also negative. In this case, the expectation value would represent the average outcome of a measurement that would result in a negative value.