Expectation Value for system of identical particles

In summary, the expectation values for a system of identical particles can be written using the field operators.
kenphysics
Dear All:

I have a quite mysterious and cumbersome question concerning with the expectation values for a system of identical particles. For example, suppose I have a system of N identical bosons given by the wavefunction ψ(x1,x2,...xN), which is of course symmetrized. My concern is:

1. What is <x1> really means? I know mathematically it is given by:

∫dx1dx2...dxN x1 ψ*(x1,x2,...xN)ψ(x1,x2,...xN)

but I think this is unphysical? We cannot measure this value, right? since physical observable for identical particles should be symmetric, like x1+x2+x3, right? But can I say <x1>=<x2>=<x3> = 1/3<x1+x2+x3> due to symmetric argument?

2. Suppose I really want to compute the above quantity, how to write it in second quantized form, that is using field operators? Is it given by:

<x1> = ∫ x1 <ψdagger(x1)ψ(x1)> dx1 ? where ψ is now a field annihilation operator that annihilate a particle at the point x1. If yes, can someone give me some ideas on how to show it starting from the wavefunction description?

3. Continue the same idea, then what is <(x2-x1)^2> means? Also, how to write it in second quantized form?

Thank you for all

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello kenphysics,

welcome to PF.

but I think this is unphysical? We cannot measure this value, right? since physical observable for identical particles should be symmetric, like x1+x2+x3, right?

Why do you think so? If we used this wave function to describe the ensemble of helium atoms, the expression you wrote for <x1> would most probably serve to calculate the expected average of the position of any helium atom. Due to symmetric property of the wave function, we would have <x1> = <x2> = ... and so on.

OK! In fact, what trouble me a lot is that for second quantization, we always consider operators like:

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^N f(x_i)[/itex] (Sinlge-body operator)
[itex]\sum_{i<j}^N V(x_i,x_j)[/itex] (Two-body operator)

But we seldom consider operators, liked x1, x2 or (x2-x1)^2, (x3-x2)^2. So what I actually want to know is can I still write down <x1> and <(x2-x1)^2> in second quantized form?

Related to Expectation Value for system of identical particles

1. What is the expectation value for a system of identical particles?

The expectation value for a system of identical particles is the average value of an observable quantity, such as energy or momentum, that is predicted by quantum mechanics. It represents the most probable outcome of a measurement on the system.

2. How is the expectation value calculated for a system of identical particles?

The expectation value is calculated by taking the sum of the product of the possible values of the observable and their corresponding probabilities. For a system of identical particles, this involves taking into account the individual particles' wave functions and their interactions with each other.

3. Can the expectation value change over time for a system of identical particles?

Yes, the expectation value can change over time for a system of identical particles if the particles are in a state of superposition, meaning they have multiple possible states. As the system evolves, the probabilities of these states can change, resulting in a different expectation value.

4. How does the expectation value differ from the actual measurement of a system of identical particles?

The expectation value is a prediction based on the principles of quantum mechanics, while the actual measurement is the result of a physical measurement. In some cases, the expectation value may not match the actual measurement due to uncertainties and fluctuations in the system.

5. What is the significance of the expectation value for a system of identical particles?

The expectation value provides important insights into the behavior and properties of a system of identical particles. It helps to predict the most likely outcome of a measurement and can be used to make comparisons between different systems. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and their interactions with the environment.