Expectation value at ground state

In summary, at the ground state of a harmonic oscillator, the energy is typically set to zero due to the conventional setting of potential energy at equilibrium. However, the actual energy of the ground state is not zero. As for the expectation value, it depends on what is being measured.
Roodles01
I realize that at ground state of a harmonic oscillator the energy will be at zero.
I'm assuming that the expectation value will also be at zero.

Could someone confirm this & possibly explain just a little more.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Roodles01 said:
I realize that at ground state of a harmonic oscillator the energy will be at zero.
It is conventional to set the potential energy at equilibrium to zero, which means that the energy of the ground state is not zero, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator

Roodles01 said:
I'm assuming that the expectation value will also be at zero.
Expectation value of what?

Related to Expectation value at ground state

1. What is the expectation value at ground state?

The expectation value at ground state is a concept in quantum mechanics that represents the average value of a physical quantity in the lowest possible energy state of a system.

2. How is the expectation value at ground state calculated?

The expectation value at ground state is calculated by taking the integral of the wave function squared over all possible values of the physical quantity.

3. Why is the expectation value at ground state important?

The expectation value at ground state is important because it provides a way to predict the behavior of a system in its lowest energy state, which is often the most stable and commonly observed state.

4. Can the expectation value at ground state be negative?

Yes, the expectation value at ground state can be negative. This indicates that the most probable value of the physical quantity in the ground state is less than zero.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to the expectation value at ground state?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle. The expectation value at ground state can help to determine the most probable value of a particle's position or momentum, but it cannot give a precise measurement due to the inherent uncertainty in quantum mechanics.