Expansion of space - Red shift

In summary, according to the author, the evidence suggests that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This evidence is based on the observation that the redshift of distant objects is greater than that of nearby objects.
kinman
I have always been puzzled by how we see an object from the past and can tell what it is doing now if it is billions of light years away.

Given that;

1. the shift in the measurement of the light spectrum indicates the speed at which an object is retreating or getting closer.

2. that the furthest objects are retreating quicker than the nearest.

3. that when we look far away we are looking into the past.

Q1> How do we distinguish that an observable shift in the light spectrum is greater or less now than at any other time in a distant object's time line?

Q2> If the universe expanded quicker in the early stages of its existence and then progressively slower, would we not be observing the light that is reaching us now from that period as red shifted more than from objects closer to us?

Space news on Phys.org
kinman said:
Q1> How do we distinguish that an observable shift in the light spectrum is greater or less now than at any other time in a distant object's time line?

When we measure redshift, we are only measuring a single moment in time. Since the redshift tells us that the object is moving away, we infer that it was closer to us in the past. Since closer objects have less redshift, we infer that the closer something was to us the slower it was receding. Does that make sense?

Q2> If the universe expanded quicker in the early stages of its existence and then progressively slower, would we not be observing the light that is reaching us now from that period as red shifted more than from objects closer to us?

Actually, I believe something like this has happened. Our measurements of supernova redshift has told us that the expansion, which WAS slowing down, has started to accelerate. I think that when we look out we can cut the universe into "slices" of time the further away they are. IE looking at an object 1 billion years in the past is x distance away. (It is not 1 billion light years away, but far more due to expansion) This let's us observe the redshift and look for differences between all these slices, which let's us see how the universe was at different periods in the past. I believe this is how we discovered that the expansion was accelerating.

Drakkith said:
This let's us observe the redshift and look for differences between all these slices, which let's us see how the universe was at different periods in the past. I believe this is how we discovered that the expansion was accelerating.

Yep, that's what I've read in several places.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Drakkith

I guess my confusion comes from focusing on one single element of the argument for expansion, measurements of red shift. Alone it doesn't make the case. It is only when you add it to other elements that the total argument becomes convincing. For instance, the fact that expansion is proportional to distance and that observation is consistent with expansion solutions that have been derived from Einstein's equations.

You mention:
Our measurements of supernova redshift has told us that the expansion, which WAS slowing down, has started to accelerate.

Can you point me towards a source for my reading please?

Thank you

Related to Expansion of space - Red shift

1. What is the expansion of space?

The expansion of space refers to the continuous increase in the distance between all celestial objects in the universe. This phenomenon was first observed by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and is now an accepted theory in astrophysics.

2. How does the expansion of space cause red shift?

The expansion of space causes red shift because as the distance between objects increases, the light waves emitted from those objects are stretched. This stretching of light waves results in longer wavelengths, which are perceived as red light by our eyes.

3. What is the relationship between red shift and the speed of expansion?

The relationship between red shift and the speed of expansion is known as Hubble's Law. It states that the further away an object is from us, the faster it is moving away from us due to the expansion of space. This relationship is described by the equation v = H0d, where v is the recessional velocity, H0 is the Hubble constant, and d is the distance between objects.

4. Can red shift be used to determine the age of the universe?

Yes, red shift can be used to estimate the age of the universe. By measuring the red shift of distant galaxies, scientists can determine their distance from us and use this information to calculate the age of the universe. This method is known as the Hubble Time and currently estimates the age of the universe to be around 13.8 billion years.

5. How does the expansion of space impact the future of our universe?

The expansion of space will continue to occur in the future and is expected to accelerate due to the presence of dark energy. This means that the distance between objects will continue to increase, and eventually, all galaxies will be moving away from each other at speeds faster than the speed of light. This will result in the eventual separation of all objects in the universe, leading to the "heat death" of the universe.