Expansion of Solids due to increases in Temperature

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about the expansion of a material when heated and cooled, and its relation to a paradox described by H. Fakhruddin. The conversation also mentioned another question about the volume expansion of a solid or liquid, and the use of the binomial expansion to show the mass density of a substance. The conversation concluded that while a simple linear model can be used to describe these phenomena, more complex models may be necessary for greater accuracy.
jnbfive
I was given a question about a certain material. The idea was that when it was heated from zero degrees C to 200 degrees C, it would be 10.06 mm from its original length of 10. Doing it in reverse order, length of 10.06 mm from 200 C to 0 C gave me an answer of 9.99964, which is less than the initial 10 mm. The question is, why does this happen. It also lists a description of this paradox given by H. Fakhruddin. I was wondering if anyone had a link or a pdf file that I'd be able to read in order to draw my own conclusions on this.

Another question I was given was as follows:

The volume expansion of a solid or a liquid can be written as V = V0(1+Beta*Change in Temperature), where beta is the coefficient of volume expansion. Starting with this equation and with the definition of mass density, use the binomial expansion to show that the mass density, rho, of a substance can be written as rho = rho0(1-Beta*Change in Temperature).

Now, I looked this up and couldn't really understand what I found. I was wondering if someone could break this down for me so that I can figure it out. I'm assuming that rho = mass/volume in this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Your calculations are correct. The "paradox" comes from using a simple linear model

[tex]L=L_0*(1+T*CTE)[/tex],

where CTE is the linear coefficient of thermal expansion, to describe a more complex behavior.

You can verify the same "paradox" by many everyday examples. If you buy a $100 item at 10% off, you pay $90. Someone who bought it at full price didn't pay 10% more than you did, however, they paid 1(1-0.10)=11.1% more than you. The difference arises from "linearizing" a multiplicative process.

The linear model is accurate for most purposes because the CTE's are so small (the error in your case is just 36 ppm). More complex models are available when greater accuracy is needed.

2) The binomial expansion is

[tex](1+\epsilon)^{-1}\approx 1-\epsilon[/tex].

This holds true when [tex]\epsilon<<1[/tex], so the coefficient times the temperature must be a small number.

To get the result you asked about, substitute your expression for V into rho = mass/volume and apply the binomial expansion.

A typo in the fifth line was pointed out: it should read ".. 1/(1-0.1) gives 11.1% more.."

Related to Expansion of Solids due to increases in Temperature

1. What is the expansion of solids due to increases in temperature?

The expansion of solids due to increases in temperature is a phenomenon in which the volume of a solid increases as its temperature increases. This is because the particles in the solid gain energy and vibrate more, causing them to take up more space.

2. How does the expansion of solids affect everyday objects?

The expansion of solids can cause everyday objects, such as metal bridges and train tracks, to expand and contract with changes in temperature. This can lead to structural stress and potential damage if not accounted for in the design and construction process.

3. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts per unit of temperature change. It is typically expressed in units of length per degree Celsius (or Fahrenheit).

4. How does the type of material affect its coefficient of thermal expansion?

The type of material greatly affects its coefficient of thermal expansion. For example, metals tend to have a higher coefficient of thermal expansion compared to ceramics and polymers. This is due to the difference in bonding between atoms in each type of material.

5. How is the expansion of solids used in practical applications?

The expansion of solids is used in practical applications such as thermometers and thermostats. It is also taken into consideration in the design of structures and materials that are exposed to temperature variations, such as bridges, roads, and pipelines. Additionally, it is used in the production of everyday objects like glass jars and bottles, which are formed by heating and shaping molten glass.