Color & Perception: Scientific Labeling vs. Subjective Perception

In summary: I really think the concept of "perfection" is at the root of all evil. I think it is the original sin. It is the first lie. Perfection is something that can't exist in the physical world. Only in our minds, and only there if we refuse to think of the thing we are trying to perfect. In summary, the conversation revolves around the definition of colors in science and the role of perception in this definition. While some argue that colors are simply wavelengths measured by devices such as spectrometers, others point out that color is a quality assigned by the brain and not a physical quantity. The conversation also touches on the relationship between numbers and colors, and the concept of perfection in the physical world.
Originally posted by Mentat
Which is why "color" is different from "wavelength of light".

In laymanship.

In science they are synonoms (see the accepted by science correspondence chart that I gave above).

This is science forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets not forget that wavelength is not the only thing that determines the color that we perceive. Intensity also has some impact, as well as the surrounding colors. Take a look at some Impressionist paintings. When a color is by itself it looks different from when its paired up with its complement.

Originally posted by Alexander
This is science forum.

Last time I checked this was the Philosophy section.

In laymanship.

In science they are synonoms (see the accepted by science correspondence chart that I gave above).

This is science forum.

I'm aware of that, however you are wrong in generalizing "Science". Neurological and Psychological sciences will tell you that people percieve "color" differently, and that it is just a subjective thing. Physics may equate wavelength with color, but that is merely because, at the subatomic level, there is no such thing as difference of perception (therefore, no such thing as "color").

Originally posted by Iacchus32
Color is only different in the sense that we each "perceive" wavelength differently, and yet the wavelength remains the same, and each of our perceptions remain the same, so in this respect color can be equated with wavelegnth.

Yes, the wavelength is the same, but "color" is a mental response to certain wavelengths, not a property of the actual wave.

Originally posted by Mentat
Yes, the wavelength is the same, but "color" is a mental response to certain wavelengths, not a property of the actual wave.
And yet every wavelength of light denotes a specific color, whether each of us perceives them the same or not is another story.

Mentat, let me conclude your thread by my words you quoted:

Alexander said:

Red=0.65 um, green=0.55 um, blue=0.48 um (+/-0.02 um) - that is how prime colors are defined in science - just by wavelength.

Of course, some people (or some insects and animals) may have perception which does NOT distinguish between blue and red (or some other) wavelengths - so perseption is subjective and thus can not be used in science.

Alexander how can you possiply presume to conclude someone else's thread. Your not a mentor. My God! What arrogant gall!

Originally posted by Iacchus32
And yet every wavelength of light denotes a specific color, whether each of us perceives them the same or not is another story.

This strikes at the heart of the matter, as what we call "color" was assigned to the common perception of the wavelength. IOW, the real difference between "color" and "wavelength of light" is that "color" is what was ascribed to what the majority of humans agreed upon, according to their perception. If "color" was invented by bees (who see Ultraviolet light), it would be an entirely different set of "colors" altogether, even though the wavelengths would be the same.

Mentat, let me conclude your thread by my words you quoted:

Alexander said:

Red=0.65 um, green=0.55 um, blue=0.48 um (+/-0.02 um) - that is how prime colors are defined in science - just by wavelength.

Of course, some people (or some insects and animals) may have perception which does NOT distinguish between blue and red (or some other) wavelengths - so perseption is subjective and thus can not be used in science.

What this fails to address is that "color" was invented by people, to explain their perception of different wavelengths of light. It is not a property of light itself, and if our eye was different, it would even exist.

Originally posted by Royce
Alexander how can you possiply presume to conclude someone else's thread. Your not a mentor. My God! What arrogant gall!

It's alright, good buddy Royce; I've gotten rather used to it.