Expanding and Simplifying Two Sets of Double Brackets (most likely really easy)

In summary, the conversation discusses expanding and simplifying the expression 6(x-1)(x+2)-(1-x)(2+x). The attempt at a solution involves expanding the expression and trying various methods, ultimately leading to the correct answer of 7x^2+7x-14. The conversation also includes clarification on the use of negatives and multiplying by 6.
LizzzyBF

Homework Statement

Expand and Simplify 6(x-1)(x+2)-(1-x)(2+x)

Homework Equations

The answer in the book is 7x^2+7x-14

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried several ways, but all of them give the wrong answer.
I'm not sure what to do with the negative in the middle. I know it makes everything in the bracket the opposite sign (i.e. - becomes +, + becomes -) but is that for both (1-x) AND (2+x), or just (1-x)?
I'm also not sure whether to multiply the (x+2) by 6 as well as the (1-x).

first I expanded to get 6x-6+x^2-x+2x-2-2-x+2x_x^2, which simplified to 2x^2+14x+4
then I tried expanding again, without multiplying the (x+2) by 6, and got 6x-6+x^2-x+2x-2-2-x+2x+x^2 = 2x^2+6x+2

I know this is really easy, it's my first piece of maths homework for the year, but I've spent two hours trying different ways to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this,
6(x-1)(x+2)-(1-x)(2+x)

=6(x-1)(x+2)+(-1)(1-x)(2+x)[-(1-x)(2+x) means (-1)(1-x)(2+x)]

= 6(x-1)(x+2)+(x-1)(2+x)[here i multiply -1 to (x-1) only ]

let (x-1)(x+2) be a [ just for simplicity]
then we have,

=6a+a

=7a
now a=(x-1)(x+2) =(x2+ 2x -1x -2)= (x2+1x-2)

=7(x2+1x-2)
=7x2+7x-14

I hope it helps!

Thank you so much! :smile:

Related to Expanding and Simplifying Two Sets of Double Brackets (most likely really easy)

1. What is the purpose of expanding and simplifying two sets of double brackets?

Expanding and simplifying two sets of double brackets is a mathematical process used to simplify polynomial expressions. It can make complex expressions easier to work with and can help to solve equations.

2. What is the first step in expanding and simplifying two sets of double brackets?

The first step is to multiply the first term in the first set of brackets by each term in the second set of brackets. This can be done using the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last).

3. Is there a specific order in which terms should be multiplied in expanding and simplifying two sets of double brackets?

Yes, the terms should be multiplied in the order of First, Outer, Inner, Last. This ensures that all terms are multiplied correctly and no terms are missed.

4. What should be done after multiplying all terms in the two sets of double brackets?

After multiplying, you should combine like terms by adding or subtracting them. This will simplify the expression even further.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when expanding and simplifying two sets of double brackets?

Yes, there are special cases such as when there are negative signs or when one set of brackets contains a binomial expression. These cases may require additional steps, but the overall process remains the same.