Solving Differential Equations: Latex Code for Division Form

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary: We can do this by integrating or by performing indefinite integration. If we know y(x), then we can solve for u and v. If we don't know y(x), then we can try to find u and v using the derivative and the antiderivative.
Physics is Phun
We just started solving differential equations the other day in my intrductory calculus class. I got every homework question except the last on. here it is.

[tex] y= ln(3x-2)/3x-2[/tex]

If someone could get me started that would be great.

How do I make the division be in numerator-denominator form using the latex code?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is Phun said:
We just started solving differential equations the other day in my intrductory calculus class. I got every homework question except the last on. here it is.

[tex] y= ln(3x-2)/3x-2[/tex]

If someone could get me started that would be great.

How do I make the division be in numerator-denominator form using the latex code?
I don't understand the problem. Normally, solving for a differential equation means finding y, some function of x, that satisfies the given equation. If you have y, what is it that you have to do? In case this is worth anything, notice that if:

[tex]f(x) = ln(3x-2) \mbox{, then } y = \frac{f(x) \times f'(x)}{3}[/tex]

To get a fraction like this:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

or this:

[tex]\frac{ln(3x-2)}{3x-2}[/tex]

type \frac{dy}{dx} or \frac{ln(3x-2)}{3x-2}.

Last edited:
Sorry. I tend to get my math vocabulary mixed up. The function above is the derivative and I want to find the original function. Could someone tell how to word this properly.

Physics is Phun said:
Sorry. I tend to get my math vocabulary mixed up. The function above is the derivative and I want to find the original function. Could someone tell how to word this properly.
Okay, you're looking for what's called the antiderivative. You can do this by integrating, by performing indefinite integration.

[tex]\begin{align*}
\int y dx &= \int \frac{\ln (3x-2)}{3x-2} dx\ \dots \ \mbox{let }u = 3x-2 \\
&= \frac{1}{3}\int \frac{\ln (u)}{u} du \ \dots \ \mbox{let }v = \ln (u) \\
&= \frac{1}{3}\int v dv \\
&= \frac{1}{3} \times \frac{1}{2}v^2 + C \\
&= \frac{[\ln (3x-2)]^2}{6} + C \\
\end{align*}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics is Phun:

It sounds like you should have written this to be more clear:

[tex]y' = \frac{\ln(3x-2)}{3x-2}[/tex]

The prime (') after the y tells us that this is a differential equation, and our goal is to find y(x).

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions to their derivatives. It involves the rate of change of a variable and is typically used to model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is it important to learn how to solve differential equations?

Solving differential equations is essential in many scientific and engineering applications. It allows us to understand and predict how systems will change over time, which is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It also helps in optimizing processes and making informed decisions based on mathematical models.

3. What is the division form for solving differential equations in LaTeX?

The division form for solving differential equations in LaTeX uses the \frac{dy}{dx} command to represent the derivative of a function, \frac{dy}{dx} = f(x). This allows us to write the equation in a more compact and organized way, making it easier to read and understand.

4. Can LaTeX be used to solve all types of differential equations?

While LaTeX is a powerful typesetting tool, it is not a mathematical software or programming language. It can be used to write and display differential equations, but the actual solving process needs to be done using a mathematical software or by hand. However, LaTeX can be used to present the solved equations in a professional and visually appealing manner.

5. Are there any tips for writing LaTeX code for division form in differential equations?

To write LaTeX code for division form in differential equations, it is essential to use proper syntax and formatting. It is also helpful to break down the equation into smaller parts, such as the left and right sides, and use appropriate commands, such as \frac{dy}{dx} and =, to represent them. Additionally, using comments and properly labeling variables can make the code more readable and easier to troubleshoot.