Expand PF Library - Get Clear Explanations & More Subjects!

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter The legend
  • Start date
In summary: If you're trying to learn from it, and you get stuck, then make a comment at the bottom of the page, and hopefully someone will try to clear it up, either with another comment or by changing the main text … that's what the comment box is there for! :smile:Sometimes it needs someone to point out where the text needs changing … that's how the Library improves …
The legend
Can we please expand the PF library, see most of the topics are explained, but not in a way where learners(atleast me) can understand (I seemingly find the explanations very brief). I again need to google some stuff or get explanations from wikipedia(which is known to have few errors) or some other source.

So can't we create a some kinda thing for different levels of study(eg: undergrad,grad..), in which the content is more ordered, and we can learn directly from it?

And we could also do with more subjects included in...

Physics news on Phys.org
The legend said:
Can we please expand the PF library, see most of the topics are explained, but not in a way where learners(atleast me) can understand (I seemingly find the explanations very brief). I again need to google some stuff or get explanations from wikipedia(which is known to have few errors) or some other source.
Can you give some specific examples?

The legend said:
cant we create

Who "we"?

It would be prohibitively time-consuming to expand the library to where it would serve the same purpose as textbooks, especially to do so at multiple scholastic levels. Essentially this is requesting the more knowledgeable members of PF to write textbooks, without getting paid to do so.

I think using the library as a quick reference or to check formulas, or to get a summary of a concept, is a more appropriate use for it.

The PF library is a collection of contributions by individual volunteers. People write entries on topics that they find interesting and that they think they know something about. There is no mechanism for providing overall coordination like you would find in a real textbook.

Redbelly98 said:
It would be prohibitively time-consuming to expand the library to where it would serve the same purpose as textbooks, especially to do so at multiple scholastic levels. Essentially this is requesting the more knowledgeable members of PF to write textbooks, without getting paid to do so.

I think using the library as a quick reference or to check formulas, or to get a summary of a concept, is a more appropriate use for it.

Ok. So what the library helps in is that if you have already learned something and want a quick revision, you can take it's help. Actually i was trying to learn from it and got stuck sometimes.

I get it though, thank you.

The legend said:
Ok. So what the library helps in is that if you have already learned something and want a quick revision, you can take it's help. Actually i was trying to learn from it and got stuck sometimes.

If you're trying to learn from it, and you get stuck, then make a comment at the bottom of the page, and hopefully someone will try to clear it up, either with another comment or by changing the main text …

that's what the comment box is there for! :smile:

(Was there a particular item you had a problem with?)

Sometimes it needs someone to point out where the text needs changing … that's how the Library improves …

it usually should be possible to learn (the basics) from a Library page.

right, thanks tinytim...actually now I have stuck to a book for learning and just view formulae and a bit of explanations in the library if i have forgotten something.

Related to Expand PF Library - Get Clear Explanations & More Subjects!

1. What is the purpose of expanding the PF library?

The purpose of expanding the PF library is to provide a wider range of resources and information for researchers and students in the field of physics and related subjects. This will allow for a more comprehensive understanding of various topics and facilitate further research and learning.

2. How will the PF library be expanded?

The PF library will be expanded by adding new books, journals, articles, and other resources related to physics and its sub-fields. This can also include incorporating new technologies such as e-books and online databases to make the resources more accessible.

3. What kind of subjects will be included in the expanded PF library?

The expanded PF library will cover a wide range of subjects including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. It will also include interdisciplinary subjects such as biophysics and materials science.

4. Will the explanations in the expanded PF library be easy to understand?

Yes, the explanations in the expanded PF library will be written in a clear and concise manner to make them easily understandable for readers at all levels. They will also be accompanied by diagrams, examples, and real-world applications to aid in comprehension.

5. Can visitors contribute to the expansion of the PF library?

Yes, visitors can contribute to the expansion of the PF library by suggesting new resources or submitting their own research articles for consideration. This will help to continuously enrich the library and make it a valuable resource for the scientific community.