Existence of non-orientable surface parametrized by periodic variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having a non-orientable surface in 3D parametrized by u and v with periodic coordinates and whether it is possible to map the torus continuously into this surface. The answer is no, as it is not possible to embed a non-orientable manifold in ##\mathbb{R}^3##. However, it is possible to embed a non-orientable surface in ##\mathbb{R}^4##, as shown by a classic example of the Klein bottle. The self-intersection of the Klein bottle in 3D means that it is not an embedding, but rather an immersion. The torus covers the Klein bottle by an involution, which
nonequilibrium
Hi!

I was wondering: is it possible to have a non-orientable surface in 3D which is parametrized by u and v, with u and v periodic (i.e. is it possible to map the torus continuously into a non-orientable surface in 3D?)

If so, does anyone have any explicit examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that by 3D, you mean ##\mathbb{R}^3##, then it is not possible to embed any nonorientable manifold in ##\mathbb{R}^3##. There are a number of directions in which to prove this, some of which are summarized at http://mathoverflow.net/questions/18987/why-cant-the-klein-bottle-embed-in-mathbbr3. It is possible to embed a nonorientable surface (2d) in ##\mathbb{R}^4##. This classic example http://www.ams.org/journals/bull/1941-47-06/S0002-9904-1941-07501-4/S0002-9904-1941-07501-4.pdf shows an embedding of the Klein bottle in ##\mathbb{R}^4## using periodic coordinates.

Thank you. What is the reason that the Klein bottle as shown in 3D is not a manifold? I mean, suppose we actually regard our mapping 2-torus to Klein bottle representation in 3D (so with intersection) as the object of interest, then the intersection doesn't seem to be very "important" in the sense that they happen for very different coordinates, so if you use your coordinates on the torus as a sense of "locality/distance", then whether or not the image intersects doesn't seem to be an issue.

(To be clear, I'm in a physical situation where I would interested in the mapping from the torus to the Klein bottle, rather than just the object in 3D/4D on its own right.)

nonequilibrium said:
Thank you. What is the reason that the Klein bottle as shown in 3D is not a manifold? I mean, suppose we actually regard our mapping 2-torus to Klein bottle representation in 3D (so with intersection) as the object of interest, then the intersection doesn't seem to be very "important" in the sense that they happen for very different coordinates, so if you use your coordinates on the torus as a sense of "locality/distance", then whether or not the image intersects doesn't seem to be an issue.

(To be clear, I'm in a physical situation where I would interested in the mapping from the torus to the Klein bottle, rather than just the object in 3D/4D on its own right.)

The self intersection of the Klein bottle in 3 space means that it is not an embedding. It is an immersion - a local embedding.

The torus covers the Klein bottle by the involution which rotates by 180 degrees along one axis circle and reflects along the other. The pairs of points that are the orbits of this involution map to the same point on the Klein bottle.

Thank you!

Related to Existence of non-orientable surface parametrized by periodic variables

1. What is a non-orientable surface?

A non-orientable surface is a surface that cannot be consistently assigned an orientation, meaning it does not have a distinct "front" and "back" side. Examples of non-orientable surfaces include the Möbius strip and the Klein bottle.

2. What does it mean for a surface to be parametrized by periodic variables?

Parametrization is a way of representing a surface using mathematical equations. When a surface is parametrized by periodic variables, it means that the equations used to describe the surface involve periodic functions, such as sine or cosine, which repeat their values over a certain interval.

3. How can a non-orientable surface be parametrized by periodic variables?

A non-orientable surface can be parametrized by periodic variables by using equations that involve periodic functions, such as sine or cosine, and also incorporate the concept of non-orientability. For example, the parametrization of a Klein bottle involves a combination of sine and cosine functions with a twist to account for the non-orientable nature of the surface.

4. What is the significance of studying the existence of non-orientable surfaces parametrized by periodic variables?

The study of non-orientable surfaces parametrized by periodic variables is important for understanding the properties and behaviors of these unique surfaces. It also has applications in fields such as topology, differential geometry, and physics.

5. Are there any real-world examples of non-orientable surfaces parametrized by periodic variables?

Yes, there are several real-world examples of non-orientable surfaces parametrized by periodic variables. One well-known example is the Möbius strip, which can be created by taking a strip of paper, giving it a half-twist, and then connecting the ends together. Another example is the Klein bottle, which can be created by gluing two Möbius strips together along their edges.