Existence of fringe effects with a capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of proving the existence of fringe effects of the electric field at the edges of a plate capacitor using Maxwell's laws. The speaker suggests that the electric field in boundary-less, charge-less, current-less areas must be continuous and considers using Gauss's law to prove the existence of fringe effects. They are ultimately given the suggestion to consider a surface passing through the metal and extending to infinity.
wimvd
I was surfing some old exam questions and I found a nasty one... They asked to prove the existence of fringe effects of the electric field at the edges of a plate capacitor, using Maxwell's laws.
In class we always assumed the ideal capacitor without fringe effects so I'm having some kind of mental block. I have no clue what surface or integration path to choose.
The only idea I have is that from a distance the capacitor should look like an electric dipole and show the same field lines as the electric dipole, and thus there should be fringe effects. But that's not really USING Maxwell's laws is it? :/

Any chance someone can put me on the right path/surface?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the easiest argument to make is that the electric field in boundary-less, charge-less, current-less areas must be continuous. Thus, if you move from between the plates to outside the plates, your electric field cannot drop from a finite value to a zero value instantaneously, so there must be some electric field outside the plates.

A more direct application would be to consider a surface that passes through the metal (and encloses some charge), and extends off to infinity. Since the electrix flux through the top and bottom sides of the box must be zero (one is in a metal, one is at infinity), using Gauss's law, there must be some flux going out the sides.

Last edited:
Perfect! Thanks! :)

Related to Existence of fringe effects with a capacitor

1. What are fringe effects with a capacitor?

Fringe effects with a capacitor refer to the phenomenon where electric field lines extend beyond the edges of the plates of a capacitor. This results in a non-uniform distribution of electric field between the plates, which can affect the capacitance and performance of the capacitor.

2. How do fringe effects affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

Fringe effects can decrease the effective area of the capacitor plates, resulting in a decrease in the capacitance. This is because the electric field lines that extend beyond the edges of the plates do not contribute to the overall capacitance, and thus reduce the effective area of the plates.

3. How can fringe effects be minimized in a capacitor?

Fringe effects can be minimized by using parallel plate capacitors with larger plate area and smaller gap between the plates. This reduces the amount of electric field lines that extend beyond the edges of the plates. Another method is to use specialized capacitor designs such as interdigitated capacitors, which have smaller gaps between the plates and thus reduce the effects of fringe fields.

4. Can fringe effects cause errors in capacitor measurements?

Yes, fringe effects can cause errors in capacitor measurements. This is because the non-uniform electric field distribution can affect the accuracy of capacitance measurements. It is important to consider fringe effects when designing and using capacitors for precise measurements.

5. Are fringe effects only present in capacitors?

No, fringe effects can also be observed in other electrical components such as inductors and transmission lines. In these cases, they can cause similar non-uniformities in the magnetic field distribution and can affect the performance of these components as well.