How Does Wavelength Affect Scattering Angle in Light?

In summary, Dx is asking for help with a physics problem involving the wavelength of light. Tom and stuffy are giving advice, but Dx is still unsure of how to solve it. The formula for diffraction and interference is mentioned, but it is unclear whether this is the correct approach for the problem. The concept of Raleigh Scattering is brought up, which suggests that the wavelength of color B is half that of color A. The factor of 16 is related to scattering intensity, not the angle.
Dx
If sunlight of color B is scattered through an angle 16 times greater than sunlight of color A, then the wavelength of color B is?

Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dx, you should know by now that you have to show your work.

Originally posted by Tom
Dx, you should know by now that you have to show your work.

Tom,
I have been doing just that but if I don't know what to do then why should i put down anything 'ol down. By putting just something down not only wastes your time and mine but I think insults our intellengence as well. I am not here to try and bs anyone. I understand your rules and do comply, sir. But I can't put anything down which I do not have. Thats why I am asking for help.
Thank you, Tom!
Very respectfully,

Last edited by a moderator:
You could at least say you don't know where to start so you can get some hints. :P

Originally posted by stuffy
You could at least say you don't know where to start so you can get some hints. :P

I believe this is understood stuffy. If I don't say anything since the forum states "you must include your work with the problems" but I don't want to beat a dying horse here so forget it. I am asking for help you can choose to help or not that's your decision. I don't want to argue with anyone, just asking for anyes help who wants to if not its ok. Anyways, can someone justdelete this thread since its really getting off the subject of what I have asked, please.
Later.
Dx

Originally posted by Dx
If sunlight of color B is scattered through an angle 16 times greater than sunlight of color A, then the wavelength of color B is?

OK, I assume this is scattering by diffraction. First tell me what is the relationship between wavelength and diffraction angle.

Originally posted by Tom
OK, I assume this is scattering by diffraction. First tell me what is the relationship between wavelength and diffraction angle.

See this is what thorws me off too. I am unclear what to do so let's go with what your saying if its not right ok then but at least i learned something.
I know defraction refers to the fact that light, likr other waves bends around objects it passes and spreads out thru narrow slits. This patter has interference between rays of light that travel distances which gives me this formula
sin[the] = [lamb]/D. I am to assue that the ans is simply 1/16 of that color of A or no?

Dx

Originally posted by Dx
sin[the] = [lamb]/D.

This is the formula for 2-slit interference; I was thinking that it was single-slit diffraction. But OK, let's proceed with this one. If the other one was intended, it is a simple thing to fix.

I am to assue that the ans is simply 1/16 of that color of A or no?

No, you are supposed to calculate the answer to find out what it is. Set up two equations as follows:

sin(θA)=λA/D
sin(θB)=λB/D

You also have:

16θA=θB

You need to solve for the ratio: λB/λA.

This is not easy to solve, and I am thinking we are on the wrong track by interpreting "scattering" this way. In your book, what topics are discussed in the section in which this problem appears?

Im just going to be lazy and link to this because its pretty much the same principle, you need to determine the y value before finding the angle thinks I.

Originally posted by Dx

I suspect what Dx is talking about is Raleigh Scattering, which is dependent on wavelength and goes as the inverse fourth power of the wavelength, which means B is half the wavelength of A. The factor of 16 is the scattering intensity and not the angle.

1. What is the wave nature of light?

The wave nature of light refers to the understanding that light behaves as both a wave and a particle. This means that light can exhibit properties of a wave, such as diffraction and interference, as well as properties of a particle, such as energy and momentum.

2. How was the wave nature of light discovered?

The wave nature of light was first discovered by Thomas Young in the early 1800s through his famous double-slit experiment. He observed that when light passed through two narrow slits, it produced an interference pattern on a screen, similar to how waves behave when passing through two openings.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in light waves?

The wavelength and frequency of light waves are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

4. Can the wave nature of light explain the phenomenon of refraction?

Yes, the wave nature of light can explain the phenomenon of refraction. When light waves pass from one medium to another, their speed and direction change due to the change in the medium's density. This causes the light waves to bend, which is known as refraction.

5. How does the wave nature of light impact our daily lives?

The wave nature of light has various applications in our daily lives, such as in optical technologies like cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. It also plays a crucial role in communication technologies like fiber optics and wireless networks. Additionally, our eyes perceive light as waves, allowing us to see the world around us and its vibrant colors.