Exerting forces on massless objects

In summary, in this conversation, it was discussed whether it is possible to exert a force on something that is massless. It was clarified that massless particles can interact and be acted upon by other particles, but this is on a different level than mechanical systems. The concept of momentum was also brought up, with the understanding that for massive particles, momentum is related to mass, but for massless particles such as photons, momentum is still well-defined. It was concluded that while photons are predicted to be massless, the possibility of a very small mass cannot be completely ruled out.
holezch
Hi, I'm pretty sure that you must have a mass inorder to exert a force on something (at least from what I know). But can you exert a force on something that is massless? :S You can right? Because when we talk about massless springs and cords, things are exerting forces on them.. but then if you exert a force on something, without any other forces, it may have an acceleration.. can massless objects accelerate? I don't think it would make much sense thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The objects (springs etc.) you are referring too are not massless - they posess a mass, but it's negligible, since they don't affect the overall behaviour of the physical system considered.

thanks, so that's why I was so confused. So even hypothetically, we aren't saying that it doesn't have a mass, but just that its mass is so small we can ignore it. so you cannot exert a force on a massless object. I think that a massless object cannot exist, is that true? how can something exist with no mass? to exist means that there is some kind of entity representing an objects existence..

Well, there are some massless elementary particles as far as I know, but that goes far beyond the scope of my knowledge.

The photon is a massless particle. Massless particles always move at the speed of light.

Massless particles can interact with itself and/or other particles, so it is possible to exert a force on a massless particle. Newtons second law doesn't apply though, since massless particles are only described correctly in relativity theory.

In a way, two photons can interact with each other, via production of temporary electron/positron particles:

http://superstruny.aspweb.cz/images/fyzika/spacetime/photon-photon.gif

Two of the outer perforated lines represent incoming photons. They transform into electron/positron pairs (the solid lines). These in turn combine to form two photons that are again represented as outgoing perforated lines.

This process results in a perceived force that acts between the two photons, changing their directions.

Torquil

Last edited by a moderator:
holezch said:
Hi, I'm pretty sure that you must have a mass inorder to exert a force on something (at least from what I know). But can you exert a force on something that is massless? :S You can right? Because when we talk about massless springs and cords, things are exerting forces on them.. but then if you exert a force on something, without any other forces, it may have an acceleration.. can massless objects accelerate? I don't think it would make much sense thanks

Massless particles can indeed exert forces: radiation pressure. It's also possible to exert forces on massless particles: refraction.

But this is probably not what you mean, I suspect you are thinking about mechanical systems. When we use massless springs and massless ropes (or rods) in mechanical systems, usually they are used to *transmit* forces from one object to another, or used to constrain the motion of a test mass. It's an abstraction that's useful to simplify analysis, nothing more or less.

are the things you two mention (photons specifically) LITERALLY massless? Or is it just that their masses are so small they are virtually massless?

Photons are *predicted* to be massless, and measurements place an upper bound of their mass at somewhere between 10^-14 and 10^-18 eV.

holezch said:
are the things you two mention (photons specifically) LITERALLY massless? Or is it just that their masses are so small they are virtually massless?

Yes, photons are massles. But the more fundamental concept in applying forces is not mass or inertia; on the contrary, is the momentum, because force changes the momentum [tex]\vec{F} = \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]. Although photons are massless, they have momentum [tex]\vec{p} = \hbar\vec{k}[/tex], the necessary condition for the application of forces.

hm, but momentum defined in terms of mass, so of course, mass is fundamental to applying forces

Andy Resnick said:
Photons are *predicted* to be massless, and measurements place an upper bound of their mass at somewhere between 10^-14 and 10^-18 eV.

ah okay. so it wouldn't be *incorrect* to say that they do have a mass as much as it wouldn't be incorrect to say that they are massless? thanks

holezch said:
hm, but momentum defined in terms of mass, so of course, mass is fundamental to applying forces

No, momentum is not defined in terms of mass. In the standard model of particle physics, which is the current accepted model of fundamental particle physics, the photon is massless. It is important to separate between rest mass and energy here.

For a massive particle, momentum is related to its rest mass and velocity, but for a massless particle, momentum is also well-defined, even though it's rest mass is zero.

holezch said:
ah okay. so it wouldn't be *incorrect* to say that they do have a mass as much as it wouldn't be incorrect to say that they are massless? thanks

The most correct thing to say is that it has a mass that must be less than some bound.
In practice this means that the model can be simplified mathematically by assuming it to be massless. But this is nitpicking about a quantity that is extremely small/zero.

Torquil

holezch said:

It would be incorrect to claim that a photon has a mass- the experimental data is consistent with photons being massless, not massive. Any mass that a photon may have is less than can be measured at the current time.

holezch said:

Where is the "mass" in the definition of momentum as [itex]p=\hbar k[/itex]?

Zz.

Related to Exerting forces on massless objects

1. What is a massless object?

A massless object is an object that has no mass, or a very small amount of mass that is considered negligible. In other words, it is an object that has no physical weight or inertia.

2. Can forces be exerted on massless objects?

Yes, forces can still be exerted on massless objects. This is because massless objects still have energy and can interact with other objects through forces such as gravity, electromagnetic forces, and nuclear forces.

3. What is the effect of exerting forces on massless objects?

The effect of exerting forces on massless objects can vary depending on the type of force and the situation. For example, if a massless object is subjected to a gravitational force, it will experience acceleration but will not gain any velocity. On the other hand, if a massless object is subjected to a magnetic force, it will experience a change in direction but will not be affected by the force itself.

4. Can massless objects be moved by forces?

Yes, massless objects can be moved by forces. As mentioned before, massless objects still have energy and can interact with forces. Therefore, forces can cause massless objects to move or change direction.

5. How do scientists study the effects of forces on massless objects?

Scientists study the effects of forces on massless objects through theoretical models and experiments. They use mathematical equations and simulations to predict and understand the behavior of massless objects under different forces. In addition, they also conduct experiments in controlled environments to observe and measure the effects of forces on massless objects.