Exergy of combustion products, steam and the loss of exergy

In summary: Please do not provide incorrect information.In summary, the problem involves calculating the exergy of combustion products and steam in a steam generator, with a given ambient temperature and heat transfer between the biomass and steam. The equation used is derived from the efficiency of an ideal Carnot engine. The percentage loss of exergy is calculated using the formula 100(x_i-x_f)/x_i, where x_i is the initial value and x_f is the final value. The biomass is modeled as the hot reservoir and the surroundings as the cold reservoir, as heat flows from the hot to the cold reservoir.
Absentee

Homework Statement

Biomass with a heating value of 15 MJ/kg burns in steam generator at a temperature of 1200K and all of the heat is given to the steam at a temperature of 600K. The ambient temperature is 300K. Calculate exergy of combustion products, steam and the loss of exergy.

Homework Equations

[/B]
ex = q * [1 - (Tsurr / T)]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't really 'get' what's really going on here. Can somebody explain me why should I be using surrounding temperature to calculate exergies for both combustion products and steam? I can't make connection of the fact that burning biomass is giving heat to the steam with these equations.

I guess it turns out the solution should be:

ex1 = 15 MJ/kg * [1 - (300K / 1200K)] = 11.25 MJ/kg
ex2 = 15 MJ/kg * [1 - (300K / 600K)] = 7.5 MJ/kg

However, I don't know why. It turns out the solution to the loss of exergy is 33% (As stated in solutions)

(11.25 MJ/kg - 7.5 MJ/kg) / 11.25MJ/kg = 0.33 ?

But why? Can somebody explain me what is going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need the derivation of the equation you used?

Simon Bridge said:
Do you need the derivation of the equation you used?

I believe it is derived from efficiency of a ideal Carnot engine, am I right?

( Q(HR) - Q(CR) ) / Q (HR)

With HR being hot, and CR being cold reservoir.

However, If biomass gives all of the heat to the steam, why am I even calculating 'exery between biomass as hot, and surroundings as cold reservoir'?

And why is percentage of loss of exergy calculated in that way?

Thanks alot.

Heat flows from the hot reservoir to the cold one, doing work on the way. In this case, the work gets extracted between the biomass and the surroundings, therefore it is sensible to model the biomass as the _____ reservoir and the surrounding as the _____ reservoir (fill in the blanks).

The percentage loss of something is ##100(x_i-x_f)/x_i## by definition. Therefore the percentage loss of exergy is... (use your knowledge of exergy to derive the formula you need.)

You should have a derivation, and definitions, in your notes or in your textbook... you can also look them up online.
You should not be guessing.

Related to Exergy of combustion products, steam and the loss of exergy

1. What is exergy?

Exergy is a measure of the maximum work that can be obtained from a system as it comes into equilibrium with its surroundings. It is a thermodynamic property that takes into account both the quantity and quality of energy in a system.

2. How does combustion affect the exergy of products?

Combustion is a process that releases chemical energy in the form of heat. As the combustion products reach equilibrium with their surroundings, their exergy decreases due to the decrease in the potential to do work.

3. What is the role of steam in the exergy of combustion products?

Steam is often used as a working fluid in energy conversion systems. As it flows through the system, it carries with it the exergy of the combustion products, which can then be utilized to perform work.

4. How is the loss of exergy calculated?

The loss of exergy is calculated by comparing the exergy of a system at its initial state with the exergy of the same system at equilibrium. The difference between the two values represents the loss of exergy due to irreversibilities in the system.

5. How can the loss of exergy be minimized?

The loss of exergy can be minimized by optimizing the design and operation of energy conversion systems. This includes reducing the amount of irreversibilities, maximizing heat transfer efficiency, and using advanced technologies such as cogeneration and waste heat recovery.