Exercise with Hamiltonian matrix

In summary, the author is trying to solve an eigenvalue equation but is having difficulty. He is suspecting that the two eigenvalues he obtained are not good and is not sure how to proceed. He also does not understand how to find the coefficients for the Ψ(t=0) equation.
Mlisjak

Homework Statement

I have the matrix form of the Hamiltonian:

H = ( 1 2-i
2+i 3)

If in the t=0, system is in the state a = (1 0)T, what is Ψ(x,t)?

Homework Equations

Eigenvalue equation

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have diagonalized given matrix and got the eigenvalues: 2+√6 and 2-√6. I am suspecting that these are not good, since I can't get eigenvectors I can use. When trying to calculate eigenvectors, I get:
a = 1 and b=(-1+√6)/(2+i). This is the one I got when I used 2+√6 but after that I didn't even try with the other eigenvalue since it will be similar.
I don't know what to do with those and don't know how to normalize them. Also, even if I knew how to get correct eigenvectors, I am not sure how to proceed and get Ψ(x,t). [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you got that value for b (I don't get the same signs), so check your math. If what bothers you is the (2+i) in the denominator, simply multiply by (2-i)/(2-i).

Do you get the same eigenvalues? I put it in the form:
( 1 2-i
2+i 3 ) * (a b)t = (2+√6) (a b)T

I'm sorry, I don't know to write it properly.

Then I got:
a+(2-i)b = (2+√6)a
That's where the expression comes from. And by using the second equation i got a=a in which cases we always put 1 in our class. Is that wrong?

Mlisjak said:
a+(2-i)b = (2+√6)a
That's where the expression comes from. And by using the second equation i got a=a in which cases we always put 1 in our class.
That gives
$$
b = \frac{1 + \sqrt{6}}{2 - i}
$$
which is not what you wrote above.

Try multiplying with ##(2 + i)/(2 + i)##.

Ok, I got the vectors but don't know how to proceed to get Ψ (x,t)

What have you learned about time evolution?

To be precise, I don't understand how to get right coefficients to write Ψ(x,0) as a linear combination of the vectors I got. When i get that, I believe that I just have to add time dependence e-iEt/†

Scalar product. You have found the eigenvectors φ1 and φ2 and want to write Ψ(t=0) = c1 φ1 + c2 φ2, you find the coefficients using
$$
c_n = \phi_n^\dagger \Psi
$$

Is that equal to finding the norm of the eigenvectors? For example, I have three eigenvectors: v1 = v2 = (1 0 0) and v3=1/√2 (0 -i 1).

Would I write Ψo= 2*(1 0 0)+1/√2 (0 -i 1)?

I have used different example, since I get too complicated vectors in the exercise I posted originally

Related to Exercise with Hamiltonian matrix

1. What is the Hamiltonian matrix?

The Hamiltonian matrix is a square matrix used in quantum mechanics to represent the total energy of a physical system. It is named after William Rowan Hamilton, an Irish mathematician and physicist.

2. How is the Hamiltonian matrix related to exercise?

The Hamiltonian matrix is used in exercises and problems related to quantum mechanics, as it allows for the calculation of the total energy of a system. This can be applied to various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and particles.

3. What is the importance of exercise with Hamiltonian matrix?

Exercise with Hamiltonian matrix helps scientists and students understand the principles of quantum mechanics and its applications in various fields. It also allows for the development of problem-solving skills and critical thinking in the context of physics.

4. How do I solve exercises with Hamiltonian matrix?

Solving exercises with Hamiltonian matrix involves understanding the principles of quantum mechanics and applying them to specific problems. This can involve using mathematical formulas and calculations to determine the total energy of a system.

5. Can the Hamiltonian matrix be used for other purposes besides exercise?

Yes, the Hamiltonian matrix has many applications in quantum mechanics, including calculating the energy levels and transitions of particles, simulating quantum systems, and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in other fields, such as chemistry and engineering.