Exercise with a total charge null

In summary,The point charge ##q = 30 mC## is located in the center of a conductor spherical shell with an internal radius of ##a = 10 cm## and an external radius of ##b = 20 cm## and total charge null.Find the surface density charge of both the internal surface and external surface of the conductor and draw a graph of the module of the electric field as a function of the distance from the center of the sphere.Homework EquationsGauss Theorem##\Phi_S(\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{Q_{TOT}^{int}}{\
Kernul

Homework Statement

A point charge ##q = 30 mC## is located in the center of a conductor spherical shell with an internal radius of ##a = 10 cm## and an external radius of ##b = 20 cm## and total charge null.
Find the surface density charge of both the internal surface and external surface of the conductor and draw a graph of the module of the electric field as a function of the distance from the center of the sphere.

Homework Equations

Gauss Theorem
##\Phi_S(\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{Q_{TOT}^{int}}{\epsilon_0}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I started this way and applied the Gauss Theorem on the internal surface and external surface, so
##E 4 \pi r^2 = \frac{Q_{TOT}^{int}}{\epsilon_0} = \frac{\sigma 4 \pi a^2}{\epsilon_0}##
##E 4 \pi r^2 = \frac{\sigma 4 \pi b^2}{\epsilon_0}##
which become
##\sigma_{int} = \frac{E r^2 \epsilon_0}{a^2}##
##\sigma_{ext} = \frac{E r^2 \epsilon_0}{b^2}##
and I thought I did it right, but when the exercise asks me to draw a graph of the electric field as a function of the distance form the center I noticed that the exercise says "total charge null" in the conductor. This means that ##Q_{TOT}^{int} = 0##, right? So the two surface density charges I found are wrong? And how should I draw the graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you apply Gauss' law to a gaussian surface inside the conductor, what must the total charge be within that surface? What does that tell you about the charge on the inner surface of the conductor?

Likes Kernul
I know that the electric field inside a conductor is ##\vec E = 0## and outside it is ##\vec E_0## and orthogonal to the conductor's surface . The total charge should be ##Q = \int_S \sigma(x,y,z) dS = \sigma 4 \pi R^2##, with ##R## a radius of a sphere between the internal and external radius(so ##a < R < b##).
Doc Al said:
What does that tell you about the charge on the inner surface of the conductor?
I don't know. I know there is a single point charge in the middle. Does it affect the inner surface?

If you choose your Gaussian surface inside the conducting material (Doc Al's suggestion), then what is the value of ∫E⋅dA for that surface?

Likes Kernul
Where do you get E from, in particular for the outer surface?
How did you define ##Q_{TOT}^{int}##?

Likes Kernul
Kernul said:
I know that the electric field inside a conductor is ##\vec E = 0## and outside it is ##\vec E_0## and orthogonal to the conductor's surface . The total charge should be ##Q = \int_S \sigma(x,y,z) dS = \sigma 4 \pi R^2##, with ##R## a radius of a sphere between the internal and external radius(so ##a < R < b##).
Since I'm talking about a gaussian surface within the conducting material, say at r = 11 cm, ##\vec E = 0##. So what must be the total charge within that gaussian surface? (Hint: No calculation needed!)

Kernul said:
I don't know. I know there is a single point charge in the middle. Does it affect the inner surface?
Absolutely. The charge in the middle is part of the total charge within that gaussian surface, as is the charge on the inner surface. If the charge in the middle is q, what must be the charge on the inner surface? (Hint: No calculation needed!)

Likes Kernul
TSny said:
If you choose your Gaussian surface inside the conducting material (Doc Al's suggestion), then what is the value of ∫E⋅dA for that surface?
It should be ##0## since ##E = 0## inside the conductor.

mfb said:
Where do you get E from, in particular for the outer surface?
Oh! The complete induction! The outer surface can't block the effects of the internal point charge, so it would be ##\vec E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r^2}## for the outer surface, right?

mfb said:
How did you define QintTOTQTOTintQ_{TOT}^{int}?
I think I took the description too literally(I got it wrong). It's not that there are no charges in the conductor, the conductor simply has a electric field equal to ##0## and a flux of the electric field equal to ##0## too. So there is a ##Q_{TOT}^{int}##. Would this be ##Q_{TOT}^{int} = \int_{\tau} \rho(x,y,z) d\tau##?

Doc Al said:
Since I'm talking about a gaussian surface within the conducting material, say at r = 11 cm, ⃗E=0E→=0\vec E = 0. So what must be the total charge within that gaussian surface? (Hint: No calculation needed!)
Should it be ##0##?

Doc Al said:
Absolutely. The charge in the middle is part of the total charge within that gaussian surface, as is the charge on the inner surface. If the charge in the middle is q, what must be the charge on the inner surface? (Hint: No calculation needed!)
It should be ##-q##, because the conductor must stay at a null internal charge, right?

Kernul said:
Should it be ##0##?
Yes, since the field on that gaussian surface (inside the conductor) is zero the flux is zero and thus the total charge within it must be zero.

Kernul said:
It should be ##-q##, because the conductor must stay at a null internal charge, right?
Yes. You know the total charge must be zero within the gaussian surface, so the charge on the inner surface of the conductor must exactly cancel that of the charge in the middle.

Likes Kernul
So, from what we just said, the internal surface charge comes from this ##-q = \sigma_{int} 4 \pi a^2## that becomes this ##\sigma_{int} = - \frac{q}{4 \pi a^2}## while the external surface charge would be the opposite with ##b## instead of ##a##? Like this ##\sigma_{ext} = \frac{q}{4 \pi b^2}##?

Thank you so much! All of you! I think I got how to do the graph too.

Related to Exercise with a total charge null

1. What is "Exercise with a total charge null"?

"Exercise with a total charge null" is a term used in physics to describe a scenario where an object or system has a net charge of zero. This means that the positive and negative charges within the object or system cancel each other out, resulting in a neutral overall charge.

2. How is an object's total charge calculated?

An object's total charge is calculated by adding up all of the individual charges within the object. Positive charges are represented with a plus sign (+) and negative charges are represented with a minus sign (-). If the total charge is equal to zero, the object is considered to have a total charge null.

3. What are some examples of objects with a total charge null?

Some examples of objects with a total charge null include atoms, molecules, and neutral atoms or compounds. These objects have equal numbers of protons and electrons, resulting in a net charge of zero.

4. How does total charge null affect the behavior of an object?

Objects with a total charge null have no net electrical force acting on them, so they will not be affected by electric fields. However, they can still interact with other charged objects through processes such as induction and polarization.

5. Can an object with a total charge null become charged?

Yes, an object with a total charge null can become charged if it gains or loses electrons. This will result in an imbalance of positive or negative charges, causing the object to have a net charge and no longer be considered a total charge null.