Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Exercise in Probability - balls drawn from a box

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Hey!!! I need some help at the following exercise...

We have a box with balls and 10% of them are red. If we choose at random 20 balls with replacement, which is the probability to pick more than 3 red balls???

Thanks in advance!!!

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Re: Exercise in Probability

We have a box with balls and 10% of them are red. If we choose at random 20 balls with replacement, which is the probability to pick more than 3 red balls???

Thanks in advance!!!
Welcome to MHB, evinda! :)

This is about a binomial distribution.
Do you have notes on that?

Can you say for starters what the probability on exactly 0 red balls is?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Thanks in advance!!!
Hi evinda,

Welcome to MHB! It seems to me this is the binomial distribution, but maybe it's not necessary to worry about that if you haven't been introduced to this distribution. How would you find the probability that all twenty balls are red?

I see that I like Serena has beaten me to a reply but I still want to say hello and welcome. :)

Jameson

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

Welcome to MHB, evinda! :)

This is about a binomial distribution.
Do you have notes on that?

Can you say for starters what the probability on exactly 0 red balls is?
The probability on exactly 0 re balls is P(X=0)={20 choose 0}(0.1)^0*(0.9)^(20-0)=(0.9)^20...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi evinda,

Welcome to MHB! It seems to me this is the binomial distribution, but maybe it's not necessary to worry about that if you haven't been introduced to this distribution. How would you find the probability that all twenty balls are red?

I see that I like Serena has beaten me to a reply but I still want to say hello and welcome. :)

Jameson
The probability that all 20 balls are red is {20 choose 20}*(0.1)^20*(0.9)^(20-20)=0.1^20...

Thank you very much!!!!!!! ;)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

So you are familiar with binomial distribution, great! That will make this much easier to do. There is one "trick" you can use here to make this calculation much easier. Let $X$ be a random variable which represents the number of red balls drawn. \(\displaystyle P[X >3]=1-P[X \le 3]\). So instead of over 15 probabilities to calculate now you should be able to solve this through 4 calculations. Do you see how?

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

P(X>3)=1-P(X<=3)=1-(P(X=0)+P(X=1)+P(X=2)+P(X=3)), where P(X=i)={20 choose i}(0.1)^i*(0.9)^(20-i), i=0,1,2,3...Right???

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

Right! ;)

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

Ok,thanks!!!!! :p