Exercise about Constant Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of two different solutions for a relay race problem involving two runners with different speeds and starting positions. The first solution is to calculate the time taken for each runner to reach the finish line, which results in runner B winning the race. The second solution, as described in the book, involves calculating when the two runners have the same position, resulting in a different time for runner B to finish the race. Both solutions are considered correct, but the reasoning behind the book's method is questioned.
jedimath
Homework Statement
In a relay race the fourth rider of team A receives the baton to run the last 85m. At the same time the last athlete of team B is at a disadvantage of 2.6m.
The athlete of team A runs at a speed of 9.45ms, while that of team B is able to run at a speed of 9.80ms.

Does the last team B runner manage to win the race?
Relevant Equations
s = s_0 + vt
NOTE: Sorry for my english. I use Google Translate!

Comparing the performance with a friend of mine who is passionate about physics (and he is studying it by himself) we came to the same conclusion. In other words, we have calculated the time taken by both riders to reach the finish line. From the calculations it results that the runner B manages to win the race because, to cover 87.6m it takes 8.94s while the rider of the quadra takes 9.00s to cover 85m.

Is this reasoning right? Because the book makes a different one.
Practically we calculate the positions of the two athletes and then ask: when the two relay runners occupy the same position? And so talking ...

It is true that different reasoning can lead to the same result but ... in this case my reasoning and that of my friend is right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedimath said:
Homework Statement: In a relay race the fourth rider of team A receives the baton to run the last 85m. At the same time the last athlete of team B is at a disadvantage of 2.6m.
The athlete of team A runs at a speed of 9.45ms, while that of team B is able to run at a speed of 9.80ms.

Does the last team B runner manage to win the race?
Homework Equations: s = s_0 + vt

NOTE: Sorry for my english. I use Google Translate!

Comparing the performance with a friend of mine who is passionate about physics (and he is studying it by himself) we came to the same conclusion. In other words, we have calculated the time taken by both riders to reach the finish line. From the calculations it results that the runner B manages to win the race because, to cover 87.6m it takes 8.94s while the rider of the quadra takes 9.00s to cover 85m.

Is this reasoning right? Because the book makes a different one.
Practically we calculate the positions of the two athletes and then ask: when the two relay runners occupy the same position? And so talking ...

It is true that different reasoning can lead to the same result but ... in this case my reasoning and that of my friend is right?

Thanks.

You have solved the problem where the final runners receive the baton at the same time, but B is 2.6m behind A.

The problem might be that when B receives the baton, he has 85m to run, but A is already 2.6m ahead. Is that what the book does?

Hi, when B receives the baton, he has 85m + 2.6m to run for a total of 87.6m to run.
We have this situation, at same instant:
- A receives the baton and have 85m to run
- B receives the baton and have 87.6m to run

The book, for solve the problem, calculate when A and B have same position.

At least that's what I understood :)

jedimath said:
Hi, when B receives the baton, he has 85m + 2.6m to run for a total of 87.6m to run.
We have this situation, at same instant:
- A receives the baton and have 85m to run
- B receives the baton and have 87.6m to run

At least that's what I understood :)

Looks right to me.

Likes jedimath
Thanks. So, both solutions (my and that of book) are right? What I would like to understand is why the book uses that method.

jedimath said:
Thanks. So, both solutions (my and that of book) are right? What I would like to understand is why the book uses that method.

What's the book solution?

jedimath said:
The book, for solve the problem, calculate when A and B have same position.
One could solve the problem that way -- calculate the time to intercept. Then calculate the position of intercept. Then determine whether that position is on the far side of the finish line or the near.

It seems more straightforward to calculate, as you have, the time to finish for each runner and determine which occurs first.

Likes jedimath and PeroK
Book solution:

- We choose the point from which the team athlete ## A ## starts as the origin of the positions. Thus the rider of the square B has an initial position ## S_ {0} = -2.6m ##.
- The law of the athlete's position ## A ## is ## s_ {A} = (9.45 m / s) t ##.
- The law of the athlete's position ## B ## is ## s_ {B} = (9.80 m / s) t - 2.6m ##
- Athlete B reaches (and passes) runner A when the two relay runners occupy the same position ## s_ {B} = s_ {A} ##.
- From the previous condition is obtained
## (9.80 m / s) t - 2.6m = (9.45 m / s) t ##
## (9.80 m / s) t - (9.45 m / s) t = 2.6m ##
## (0.35 m / s) t = 2.6m ##
## t = \frac {2.6 m} {0.35 m / s} = 7.4s ##

At the instant ## t = 7.4s ## the runner ## A ## is in the position:
## s_ {A} = (9.45 m / s) \times (7.4s) = 70m ##

From the moment that ## 70m ## is less than the length (equal to ## 85 m ##) from the last leg of the race, the rider of the quadra ## B ## risks overcoming the athlete of the team A

jedimath said:
Book solution:

- We choose the point from which the team athlete ## A ## starts as the origin of the positions. Thus the rider of the square B has an initial position ## S_ {0} = -2.6m ##.
- The law of the athlete's position ## A ## is ## s_ {A} = (9.45 m / s) t ##.
- The law of the athlete's position ## B ## is ## s_ {B} = (9.80 m / s) t - 2.6m ##
- Athlete B reaches (and passes) runner A when the two relay runners occupy the same position ## s_ {B} = s_ {A} ##.
- From the previous condition is obtained
## (9.80 m / s) t - 2.6m = (9.45 m / s) t ##
## (9.80 m / s) t - (9.45 m / s) t = 2.6m ##
## (0.35 m / s) t = 2.6m ##
## t = \frac {2.6 m} {0.35 m / s} = 7.4s ##

At the instant ## t = 7.4s ## the runner ## A ## is in the position:
## S_ {A} = (9.45 m / s) \times (7.4s) = 70m ##

From the moment that ## 70m ## is less than the length (equal to ## 85 m ##) from the last leg of the race, the rider of the quadra ## B ## risks overcoming the athlete of the team A

Your method is much better!

Likes hmmm27, jbriggs444 and jedimath

Related to Exercise about Constant Motion

1. What is constant motion?

Constant motion is a type of motion where an object travels at a consistent speed in a straight line without changing direction.

2. How is constant motion different from other types of motion?

Constant motion is different from other types of motion, such as accelerated or decelerated motion, because the speed and direction of the object remains the same over time.

3. What are some real-life examples of constant motion?

Some examples of constant motion include a car driving on a straight road at a constant speed, a plane flying at a constant altitude and speed, and a pendulum swinging back and forth at a constant rate.

4. How is constant motion related to exercise?

Constant motion can be related to exercise in activities such as running or cycling, where the individual maintains a constant speed and direction for a prolonged period of time.

5. Why is understanding constant motion important in science?

Understanding constant motion is important in science because it helps us better understand the laws of physics and how objects move in the world around us. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the motion of objects in various situations.