Excitation energy of quantum dots

In summary, the conversation involves a new student who is researching quantum dot devices and is seeking a physical explanation of two parameters - excitation energy and distribution energy. The student is working with a structure composed of GaAs/AlAs superlattice and InAs QDs and is using capacitance spectroscopy in their research. They have encountered difficulties in understanding these parameters and are requesting clarification. The responder encourages the student to cite their sources and also mentions the importance of trying to find answers on their own first.
Kantik
Hi,

i saw these parameter, excitation energy & distribution energy, in structure which have quantum dots with superlattice, and i didn't have any idea about it.
can you give me definition or physical explanation about these parameters.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kantik said:
Hi,

i saw these parameter, excitation energy & distribution energy, in structure which have quantum dots with superlattice, and i didn't have any idea about it.
can you give me definition or physical explanation about these parameters.
Thank you.

In this forum, we encourage people to cite their sources and also show what they have done to find the answers for themselves first.

So where did you read about those parameters, and what had you tried to do on your own to figure out what they are. What is your educational background and what do you know?

Zz.

IM new student in characterization of quantum devices, and i want to investigate the quantum dots in my structure, which is composed with GaAs/AlAs superlattice and InAs QDs, by capacitance spectrosopy.
In my research of quantum dots devices, i have some difficulties to understand some parameters like-energy distribution and exitation energy that i would like to give me a physical explanation about it.
thank you.

Related to Excitation energy of quantum dots

What is excitation energy?

Excitation energy is the energy required to move an electron from a lower energy state to a higher energy state. In quantum dots, this energy is typically in the form of light, such as photons.

How is the excitation energy of quantum dots measured?

The excitation energy of quantum dots can be measured using techniques such as photoluminescence spectroscopy, which involves shining a light on the quantum dots and analyzing the emitted light to determine the energy levels of the electrons.

What factors affect the excitation energy of quantum dots?

The excitation energy of quantum dots can be affected by various factors, including the size and shape of the quantum dot, the type of material used, and the presence of any defects or impurities.

What applications does understanding the excitation energy of quantum dots have?

Understanding the excitation energy of quantum dots is crucial for their use in various applications, such as in solar cells, LED displays, and medical imaging. It can also help in the development of more efficient and cost-effective quantum dot technology.

How does the excitation energy of quantum dots differ from bulk materials?

The excitation energy of quantum dots is typically higher than that of bulk materials due to the confinement of electrons in a small space. Additionally, the energy levels in quantum dots are discrete, while in bulk materials, they are continuous.